Vaillant EcoTec Plus Boiler Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a fairly new EcoTech plus boiler connected to a conventional CH and hot water system in that its not a combi but have a cylinder in the loft and the boiler heats the water via a coil in the cyclinder.

In the winter when we have the CH on the hot water can be piping hot with the hot water dial set to a less than medium setting. Now we have switched the CH off I find I have to turn up the hot water dial by a considerable ammount to get anything like the hot water we need.

Can anyone explain why thi is so? Is the thing plumbed correctly? Why the need in dial settings?

Cheers

C

Sponsored Links
I have not seen your system but I am wondering if you have a boiler which is heat only but still have a hot water knob which has no effect on that model.

The hot water cylinder SHOULD have a thermostat to control its temperature by turning off the boiler when the water reaches the correct temperature.

My advice is to get a heating engineer to service your boiler and check that the controls are correctly fitted and operating and to explain to you how they are best used.

Tony Glazier

All the ecotec models share the same control panel. Unless you have all Vaillant controls the lower knob on the boiler does nothing.

When you say turn the heating off is this at the programmer or on the ch knob on the boiler?

I have not seen your system but I am wondering if you have a boiler which is heat only but still have a hot water knob which has no effect on that model.

The hot water cylinder SHOULD have a thermostat to control its temperature by turning off the boiler when the water reaches the correct temperature.

My advice is to get a heating engineer to service your boiler and check that the controls are correctly fitted and operating and to explain to you how they are best used.

Tony Glazier

There is a thermostat strapped to the cylinder with a dial setting knob on it too.

C

Sponsored Links

Tony Glazier

There is a thermostat strapped to the cylinder with a dial setting knob on it too.

Also I noticed that I have two dials on the boiler. One with a radiator icon the other a tap. If I turn the rad dial off everything goes cold regardless of the postion of the tap dial. The rad dial needs to be on to get any hot water at all.

C

All the ecotec models share the same control panel. Unless you have all Vaillant controls the lower knob on the boiler does nothing.

When you say turn the heating off is this at the programmer or on the ch knob on the boiler?

I have now switched the rad dial back up and switched CH off at the programmer

I have now switched the rad dial back up and switched CH off at the programmer

You will probably be fine now then.

The hw control knob is used for combis and also on your boiler if the Vaillant hw sensor and wiring centre is used.

I would suggest getting your boiler serviced (specifically by someone familiar with vaillants) at the service the engineer will happily explain how all your controls work and the best way for you to use them. (I would anyway)

The flow temperature at the boiler (Lower knob) needs to be set 10-15C above your desired hot water temperature that is set at the cylinder thermostat. Eg cylinder thermostat set to 55C, set boiler to 65-70C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back