Brown patches after satinwood dried

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some Dulux Jasmine White satinwood from B&Q the other day and wanted a 2.5l can so had to get it mixed at the time.

I've put one coat on the skirting and it's now dried. In some areas, light brown patches have formed and in other areas, it's just dried white whereas it should be a more creamy colour.

Anyone experienced this before? Could the paint be off? They used a Light base satinwood to mix it, not sure if this could be the problem?

Sponsored Links
not sure about the white patches but brown patches indicate that the skirting is "pine" real wood, which has knots. The knots will always come through as brown patches no matter how many times you paint it. You need a "knotting solution", thats what it is actually called, you can get it from b&Q. you cover the knots with it then paint. Not sure if it works through existing paint though, you'll have to ask.

I bought some Dulux Jasmine White satinwood from B&Q the other day and wanted a 2.5l can so had to get it mixed at the time.

I've put one coat on the skirting and it's now dried. In some areas, light brown patches have formed and in other areas, it's just dried white whereas it should be a more creamy colour.

Anyone experienced this before? Could the paint be off? They used a Light base satinwood to mix it, not sure if this could be the problem?

how long did you stir it for? How old was it? What primer and undercoat did you use?

agree about the knots. I like to use Aluminium Wood Primer rather than knotting, as it seals knots and resin and is a good primer all over anyway, especially on outdoor timber or exposed to sun and weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back