Brown scale in toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a hard water area at the end of a small cul de sac which is on a mains water spur that terminates outside our house. When we first moved in the water company used to flush the mains once a year to clear out any sludge - it was dreadful the first time, really brown, but subsequently it looked clear and I don't think they are doing it any longer.

We get unsightly dirty brown scale under the rim and down the back of the toilet pan which we periodically clear with limescale remover.

Is there anything we can do to prevent the scale and/or the discolouration without installing a water softener? Even if I considered installing a water softener would it stop the discolouration?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Descale it more frequently! Some of the blocks you lob into the cistern help.

You could fit a descaler tube on your rising main.
Cost around £40 from plumbers merchants.
i have one on mine and have noticed a reduction of scale on my shower cubicle and sink so they do work.
Obviously if you are prepared to spend £150- £200 there are electric ones on the market. My neighbour has one and is pleased with it :)

i've seen a device in B&Q which is a canister of chemical that you install in your rising main. you need to change the canister of chemical each year.
are these any good?

Sponsored Links
just got it!.....brown...toilet...haaaaahhhaaaah!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back