Brown Spots and Patches on Bedroom Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wall at the back of the fitted wardrobe in my mother's bedroom has started to present brown spots and patches (please see photo).
Mold.jpg

At first we thought it must be mold but now we are not so sure. It looks a little like the foxing that appears on old books.

The bedroom is in a flat that she has lived in for thirty years.

The wall backs onto the stairwell for the block.

I would be obliged for any pointers on the best way to address the problem,

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Was the fitted furniture recently installed as this could prevent the wall from breathing? If not maybe a source of damp or leaking from outside the flat, or elsewhere inside it.

Blup

Blup,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The wardrobe was fitted shortly after my mother moved into the flat, thirty plus years ago.

Regards,

I

Sponsored Links
If it’s dry I wouldn’t worry

Blup

If it's biological, brushing a bit of undiluted bleach on a spot will change its colour.

You can also paint over it and see if the paint fails. If it does, then something is likely coming through behind.

"Started" when?

How is the room ventilated?

Is wet washing ever draped inside the home?

I'd like to thank all those who replied to my request for help.

To address the queries raised:

(i) 'Is the wall papered or painted?'

I had believed that the wall behind the wardrobe was covered with painted plaster merely (the rest of the bedroom is unpapered), but reviewing the photo again, it does look as if there might be paper over some of it. I'll have to investigate further next time I visit my Mum.

(ii) 'If it's biological, brushing a bit of undiluted bleach on a spot will change its colour.'

I'll try this.

(iii) 'You can also paint over it and see if the paint fails. If it does, then something is likely coming through behind.'

A patch of wall at the bottom of the wardrobe was painted over with emulsion a year ago; the foxing has started to leech through it.

(iv) 'Started when?’

It started just over a year ago.

(v) ‘How is the room ventilated?’

There is no ventilation system in the flat, per se (no air-conditioning unit/grill in each room). Windows are opened as/when necessary.

(vi) ‘Is wet washing ever draped inside the home?'

To my knowledge, wet washing is never draped inside the flat (my mother has a washer-dryer).

I’ll try the various methods suggested to winkle out the likely culprit, and revert.

Thanks again.

Regards,

I

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back