Brown water: time for a power flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had the pump on my central heating system changed recently and took the opportunity to check the colour of the water in the system. It was somewhat orange brown, which I assume is rust.

Is it time to get the system power flushed through with corrosion inhibitors? I do know this hasn't been done for around 5 years (I just bought the flat, this is what the previous owner says).

Any advice welcome, especially as to what I should be asking for when I go seeking quotes.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It certainly does sound in need of a flush & cleanse of some kind. A power flush would cost around £350 + VAT for up to 7 seven radiators.

For the benefit of the ignorant, in this respect, what is done when a power flush is needed and should this be done at intervals even in systems always kept up to spec with inhibitor and what are those intervals.

Sponsored Links
If the water in the system is just slighty coloured and no other probs are experianced I.E. rads not heating you would get away with draining the system and adding fast cleanse, refill run for a day then drain and add inhibitor. Job done

Thanks all for that advice. In response to the question about whether there are any other problems, the answer is no. I've never had to bleed the radiators (even warmth across the whole panel), and no other circulation problems.

As I say, I needed to replace the pump recently - perhaps that could have been because there was a bit much muck in the system (it was making a terrible grinding noise which the bloke who fixed said was because the bearings had gone - seemed plausible).

Any further advice appreciated.

If system water is orange in colour, (Coffee coloured), I suspect there is something drastically wrong with plumbing. Water should never be this colour as it suggests air ingress somewhere (pump over?).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back