Brrrr, further insulation required, but what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gosh it's cold. 13 deg C at floor level, 16,5 deg C at ceiling.

In a ground floor flat built c. 1926. GCH, DG throughout, good fitting external doors ("Fit the best ... Ever felt you've paid over the odds),
CWI in ext brick walls. which are harled, they are painted every 2 years for waterproofing

There's nothing in the way of internal insulation - floors, ceilings, walls. I had to retrofit the GCH piping with 9mm Class O Armaflex.

Floors are wooden tongue and groove floorboards except in kitchen which is solid concrete, most probably without an insulant layer installed.

Ceilings are lath and plaster except in kitchen which is solid concrete.

Internal walls are mainly lath and plaster. except load bearing walls which are brick and plaster.

The council offered to do underfloor insulation for a price (I own the place) when they were doing tenanted properties but they moaned about the lack of depth underfloor .. health and saftey innit. They also haven't made a very good job of the council properties' insulation I've seen done.

Have noise problems from neighbours upstair. Was thinking 2 by 15mm acoustic plasterboard sheets on ceilings .. a WIP. Should this be augmented with anything else in the space between ceiling joists? Same for walls so I can listen to music louder.

What's my best (fibreglass free) strategy for further insulating the place, a bit at a time?.
Anything, low footprint I can line the interior surface of external brick walls with?
I've got access to sprayers, laggers, surplus insulation boards from the skip etc.

Thermal resitance figures would be extremely useful.

Sponsored Links
You central heating should be able to heat to a comfortable temp regardless of the insulation, is it under specked for the size of flat?

Heating is fine when it's on. The heat isn't retained

by thermal resistance figures do you mean U value? if so post your email address in your profile and i will send you some info on U values that might help

Sponsored Links
You know, that's not cold. I mean you think it is, I thought it was too a few months ago. Now it is 4 degrees in my place, I have the heating set on 4 to stop the pipes bursting. With a jumper, fleece or sweat shirt and some normal trousers on, you can get quite used to a lower temperature. If it was 13 degrees here now, I'd want to be in t-shirt and probably shorts too - no joke!

Think of all the money you save... and you will be doing your bit to prevent global warming :LOL:

time to get some of those "wedge in" polystyrene boards that are intended for between loft rafters... then it's under the floors you go..

3" kingspan in between the ceiling joists, poly backed plasterboard on walls.
Insulated boards on kitchen floor, is the kitchen roof open to the elements above ???

Is the space under the floor open to air bricks? Good draft from there.
Also external insulation an option.

do you have carpets or bare floorboards?

how many radiators, what size, are they too hot to hold? how many rooms, what sizes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back