Votes: 4 26.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, we keep having conversations that come around to what people think is in BS EN 61439-3. Suggestions include that it must be single phase; that the maximum load is 100A; that it must have a self-closing lid (typically by being hinged at the top); that it must be fireproof (i.e. contain a fire, requiring the self closing lid); and a few other ideas that I can't remember.
So, I decided to look it up, and the results are ... interesting.
Before I spoil the fun, have a go at the poll ...

Sponsored Links
If you think there's something else, it can't be none of the above - right?

Well, if you think it is none of the above, then it can't be any of the suggestions nor something else.

Sponsored Links
If you think it is 'none of the above' including 'anything else' then there can not be any requirements. If this were the case then it wouldn't be worth publishing the spec. So yes, the last option is pointless.

As the non electrician here, can I spoil the fun?
I chose none of the above :)

So, we keep having conversations that come around to what people think is in BS EN 61439-3. Suggestions include that it must be single phase; that the maximum load is 100A; that it must have a self-closing lid (typically by being hinged at the top); that it must be fireproof (i.e. contain a fire, requiring the self closing lid); and a few other ideas that I can't remember. ... So, I decided to look it up, and the results are ... interesting.
Voting would be pure guesswork, so I won't bother - but I have always strongly suspected that it doesn't require any of the things you mention.

The 'something else' option is, in my opinion, a little silly, because the Standard surely must 'require' things that are not mentioned in your list?

Kind Regards, John

Of course "something else" could relate to other specifications within it, however because you lot are a bunch of gasbags Im sticking with it having none of the above items mentioned in it.
Well, not that I could find in the IEC 2014 version anyway.

Of course "something else" could relate to other specifications within it, however because you lot are a bunch of gasbags Im sticking with it having none of the above items mentioned in it.
As I said, that's what I have personally always suspected.

Kind Regards, John

...but 'none of the above' also rules out 'something else' so you think there is nothing in BS-EN 61439-3.

OH I know whats in it, however it does not mention the words "something else" anywhere :)

If your going to talk about standards then you cannot use words like that, you have to use the words that are in it. :)

Unless your saying it has none of the above, or does not contain the things being said about it.

The something else option was really to allow for some of the more obscure suggestions that I can't remember. Feel free to ignore it if you think it makes no sense :whistle:
Well at least it sparked some discussion :rolleyes:

Well at least it sparked some discussion :rolleyes:
Well, yes, but really only discussion about the wording of your question! Only mattylad and myself have made any comments relating to the probable answers to your question!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back