BSA HOTSPUR - Flame Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 38 year-old Hotspur boiler is failing to ignite frequently although I am getting a good spark. This is due to several things :-
1) The ignition probe is now so short to move to a place where there are no holes in the Flame Ring.
2) There had been gaps between a few segments of the Flame Ring and I was not getting a good Earth.
3) I have tried blanking the holes in the Flame Ring with a bit of metal cut from a Baked Bean tin (hee hee-try anything) but this only lasts a short while.
Any suggestions for what to try next. Has anyone ever got a new Flame ring made? What material? How was it earthed?
I,m a pensioner and cant afford a new boiler.
Any help very much appreciated. :( :cry: before the winter really sets in.

Sponsored Links
If you are a pensioner you should be elligible for a Warmfront Grant for a nice A rated oil fired boiler which would save you Half a tank of oil per year!! the original flame Rim on the BSA was made of stainless wholesalers used to sell repair clips that clipped over the hole that had been made by the iginition arc, however you would be very lucky to find one now, unless there is an "old hand" oil engineer in your area with some old stocks in his garage!! But seriously the BSA is beyond borrowed time and the warmfront route would be well worth investigating ;)

Many thanks for your advice Boilerman 2. I will investigate your suggestion of Warmfront Grant. I think it is called Warm Homes here in Northern Ireland. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back