BSA Hotspur Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have a problem with a good old Hotspur. It will not ignite. There's plenty of spark and the oil seems to be delivering ok (see YouTube attachment below ) but it will not ignite.

Flame ring 1.JPG Flame ring 2.JPG OCV.JPG

Perhaps it isn't atomising properly but with the amount of fuel flying around I'm surprised there's not some ignition! In case the fuel had been corrupted on its way from the outside tank, I shut off the input to the OCV under the Hotspur, emptied the OCV and topped it up with fresh fuel from the outside tank. No difference, of course. Perhaps it's the quality of the igniter?
The reason I'm working on the Hotspur is because the owner is 100 years of age and has been in her house for 70 years and when she goes her house will just be ripped apart!

Thanks.

When trying to attach an mp4 file I eventually found out that Diynot doesn't accept them. I've sent the file to YouTube.
Video link

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
May be time to put it out of its misery no parts available.
Wallflame burners can be dangerous things especially when they are getting old and don't ignite properly.
I know of at least 3 that required fire brigade attendance.

The spark should strike the flame ring not the grille.
It was normal for a hole to be eroded at this point,. Repair clips were used.
the spark should be crisp and blue like an arc weld

I can't see much oil being deposited so wonder whether there is sufficient. Is it time to check the rotor mounting for wear and slow running?

Sponsored Links
I watched the video again .......... That Kero looks suspiciously like H2O.

If the tank is same vintage as boiler and recent weather is taken into consideration!!
Check OCV filter and whilst removed run a few pints into clear bottles. Or dip tank with water paste.

Hi Terry. Sorry about the length of time it's taken to reply to your replies. The old girl's flying again thanks to your help. When I bent the flame ring forward 2 years ago there was no problem with its igniting and it's been worked ok since (until now). When I bent the 2 or 3 flame rings forward to be nearer the sparker 2 years ago I did not bend up the edges of the 2 or 3 grilles to keep them level with the other 16 or 17 grilles. The reason I bent the flame rings forward rather than bend the Sparker forward is because I did not want to risk damaging the Sparker's construction. If that happpend, that would have been it.
The reason I came to a stop this time is because in the forum in 2013 it said: (Ensure the spark electrode is slightly below the level of the heat spreaders) which it was, and the sparker was less than 3/8" from the flame ring. Even with the grille above the sparker removed there was still no ignition. (see Without grille.jpg).
Actually, I had been working from above (I have long arms) and noticed a clip-on piece over the flame ring next to where the the sparker was striking. I thought it was a clip to be used on the flame ring that the Sparker was hitting and only when I looked in from the front did I realise that it was a repair clip covering a previously burnt hole. (see Burn Hole.jpg) The repair clip was obvious a properly manufactured one and has been there for at least 15-20 years! (see Repair Clip.jpg) The hole is some way left from the Sparker. Perhaps the repairman had swopped the two Flame rings over. Anyway, the Repair Clip is back where it belongs. Seeing the position of the the hole in the flame ring I could see where the Sparker should be hitting and I decided, with great care, and two pairs of pliers, to bend the sparker down slightly to hit the flame ring lower down. Then I bent up the 2 or 3 grilles to be level with the other 16 or so grilles and installed them all back on the flame ring so that there is a definite gap between the grilles above the sparker. Put everything back together, turned on the time switch and she fired up straight away and has been working well for about 2-3 days now!
Thanks again Terry for your help and also Oilhead. Actually, Oilhead, the Toridheet assembly was next to be investigated. Not necessary now. If anybody wants photos of the BSA Hotspur, let me know.

Attachments

• Without grille.jpg
    Without grille.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Burn hole.JPG
    Burn hole.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Repair Clip.JPG
    Repair Clip.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 21

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back