BSA Hotspur Oil Boiler

Hi to set the hotspur wallflame boiler correctly the flame should be blue with white/yellow flickering tips -- around a quarter of the flame white/yellow the base blue

Sponsored Links
Hi to set the hotspur wallflame boiler correctly the flame should be blue with white/yellow flickering tips -- around a quarter of the flame white/yellow the base blue

The original post was raised two years ago, and Griar hijacked it a year ago.

I too have a Hotspur oil fired boiler. It was already installed in the garage of the house when I moved in 35 years ago.
I have always carried out servicing myself. Like martinph, I have fiddled with/ cleaned the OCV. I only know what I have found out by working on my own boiler. The only thing I have had to replace in all these years is the Honeywell Flame Sensing unit.(until now)

My problem is with the Ignition Transformer 200VA
Pri Volts 200/250
Pri Amps 0.9
50HZ
Sec ocv 8500
Sec Amps 0.021
Rating 70%

inner of Sec grounded to case.

It was manufactured by PARMEKO Ltd, England. for
BSA Harford Heating Ltd

Problem - any suggestions as to replacement transformer.

I am a pensioner now and trust it to break down during this cold spell.
Thank God I have a coal fire in the living room.

Any help appreciated - Slohaw

Can you tell me where you got your Honeywell Flame sensing Unit, mine has just stopped. The code is C551A. I have the 110,000 BTU/hr Hotspur. It says it is made by Harford-Unical of Cockfosters and was installed in the mid 70's.
Thank you

As I have posted previously YOU WILL NOT get a new Honeywell Pyrostat, for the hotspur boiler, the supply of new spares ended in about 1980, pyrostats are subject to very high furnace temperatures so I doubt anyone would even have a serviceable 2nd hand one now!!

Wallflame boilers are VERY in-efficient I would replace with a SEDBUK A oil fired condensing boiler and save about a tank of oil per year!! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice Boilerman2.
I did manage to track down a C551A in the USA which I fitted but the boiler still cuts out between 30 to 60 seconds after the ignition spark shuts off. I have checked the C551A by putting the probe on the cooker hob and checked that the circuit changes from R-B to R-W when it gets hot.
I am now wondering if the fault is the Honeywell Protectorelay R867A. I cannot find anywhere to buy one of these. Can these be repaired ? or have you any other ideas.

Thank you for any help.

( I know it makes sense to fit a new condensing boiler but I have an urge to fix this one ! )

I used to have an Austin Allegro - the urge to fix it did not stop me putting it in a scrapyard, which is exactly whre your Hotspur belongs (believe me I was a fan of all Wallflame Boilers but that was the 60's 70's & 80's - we have moved on now!) ;)

Having just read your previous thread again - are you saying the burner runs for up to 60seconds AFTER the IGNITION has stopped??

If so check that the flame is not shrinking it could be just a blocked oil filter either in the fuel line or the base of the Oil Control Valve (OCV) ;)

Thank you very much Boilerman2, I am a happy man.

After your post I removed the filter and the boiler ran ok. After my holiday I fitted a new filter and cleaned the gauze filter in the constant level unit and it has now been running successfully for a week.
(When the boiler stopped initially I removed both filters and washed them in clean CH Oil but in hindsight washing the paper filter does not work.)

I now have two Honeywell C551A flame failure units which I think work and a Honeywell Protectorelay R867A which my local plumber had in his shed, which does work!

( Now not sure whether to fit a new boiler before next winter after your Allegro example !! )

Thank you very much Boilerman2, I am a happy man.

After your post I removed the filter and the boiler ran ok. After my holiday I fitted a new filter and cleaned the gauze filter in the constant level unit and it has now been running successfully for a week.
(When the boiler stopped initially I removed both filters and washed them in clean CH Oil but in hindsight washing the paper filter does not work.)

I now have two Honeywell C551A flame failure units which I think work and a Honeywell Protectorelay R867A which my local plumber had in his shed, which does work!

( Now not sure whether to fit a new boiler before next winter after your Allegro example !! )

Glad you got it going, was a BSA apprentice back in the 60's in of all places Montgomery St. Which was where Harford Heating was located and I was apprenticed. For one of the previous posters, the company not only made boilers but also pumps and radiators.

Should anyone with one of these boilers require a couple of working Brigon CO2/O2 slightly antiquated analysers to test emissions and efficiency, let me know.

This should be mostly blue, with some orangey/yellow tinges.:)
Adjust the damper under the motor unit anti clockwise to increase air, and therefore more orangey/yellow, then slightly clockwise until the flame is mostly blue. Back it off a bit until some orange/yellow is again visible, and that should be about right. :D
If you close off the air altogether, the boiler will "chuff" and puff out smoke into the room. Don't let that go on for very long, as this could cause a fire outside the boiler chamber. :eek:

i have just swapped out my 52 year old hotspur.... willing to break for parts if anyone needs bits...

got a brand new honeywell pyrostat c551a i imported from the states available....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back