bt home hub 2.0

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i have the BT home hub 2.0 its a bit of a tedious machine but hey.

i've noticed that the signal strength is "poor" about 30%-40% and the router is directly under me (router in living room on a shelf-laptop upstairs on the desk)
i am quite disappointed by the strength as BT say "that this new and improved router has suming like 10x faster wireless range" yeh right :!:

also it seems to switch off now and again by its self but then boots up again. and as i have the phone running off of the router it is even worse becasue when the router goes off the phone goes with it :evil:

can any one shed any light on this problem and any ways i can resolve it or make it better?
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi, just got rid of BT, as I am sited at the end of the system, phone was crap, could shout to who I needed to speak to louder and as like you the wireless router was poor. what does not help is the fact I was using a wireless phone and a wireless router, apparently they dont like being used together. Most people these days use wireless phones so why dont BT get there act together and sort out these issues before sending out incompatible equipment.

Ash one thing you can try is to angle the aerial on router a bit (if you can with a BT thing), try it at about 45 degrees - I think directly above and directly below the antenna are a bit of a dead spot.

thanks for the advice and i can see the logic in that and also know that it would work but the bt hubs hae internal aerials :evil:

(pompeyal)- i find the phone to be very quite too but i am using a different wireless phone(bt synergy) and it works fine

Sponsored Links
The router rebooting may be an automatic BT update - which seems to be an ever increasing thing with BT routers.

The wireless signal range and quality can be affected by both electrical cables and gas / water pipes embedded in the wall - moving your router even a few metres could help.

I once placed a wireless network in a clients home - and I was repeatedly being called out to the childrens P.C which would not connect at random times - I inspected all possible causes, replaced wirless card, changed wireless channel etc. I couldn't replicate the problem let alone fix it.

On my forth visit, and stressing because i needed this guys company's bussinesss and i was beginning to look daft, sombody went to the toilet .... the fault occured, once the toilet was vacated the issue went away.

Suspecting myself mad i instructed the client to lock himself in the toilet - exactly the same results - eventually i narrowed it down - when the toilet door was shut no signal regardless of wireless card used. Bizzare.

thanks for the advice and i can see the logic in that and also know that it would work but the bt hubs hae internal aerials :evil:

(pompeyal)- i find the phone to be very quite too but i am using a different wireless phone(bt synergy) and it works fine

Hmmm tricky. Get a big fat book and put it under one side of the blighter. Or a big fat hammer right though it.

Back