BT HOME HUB 2.0 BLACK

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Wizards,

I currently have a BT Voyager router which is running fine, if a bit slow. I have just renewed my contract with BT and they have sent me a BT Home Hub 2.0 Black which they suggest is much better. I am reluctant to start tinkering with my broadband when it is running okay so I'm wondering if there is any real adavantage in installing the new hub. Can anyone advise, please?

Many thanks in anticipation of your kind assistance.

Sponsored Links
You won't upset your current setup, you'll merely be adding another option to a list allowing you to swap between routers at your leisure.
If BT believe it to be a better router then you should try it and see.

I found also that some ISP's run a "monitoring of your system programme" that looks at your setup and if it sees a lot of rebooting or switching off and on of a router will put you at a low speed in order to stabilise your connection, This should then over a few days start to creep up in speed but some of these automatic systems dont work properly and you end up permanently at a lower "stable" speed.

If the case then it takes a phone call to have your max speed reset.

An excellent BT HomeHub resource.
http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/homehubindex.html

Quoting - Best test for web speed :-
...Then there's Actual line speed and IP Profile Speed.
These are found by a nice BT Speedtester utility http://speedtester.bt.com. This site may not work if your hub has been disconnected within the last 24 hours, and you cannot use it again until at least 3 hours after the previous "successful" test. This is a recent change after some people got paranoid about speed testing, apparently.
However the rule is 3 hours since a SUCCESSFUL test. If you only want the IP Profile speed, that comes up first in its own window. If you immediately exit out of the test by hitting the "x" on top RH corner as soon as the profile speed appears, the test is not deemed successful and you can have another go straight after!
Also make sure you use Internet Explorer for this test as other browsers often have problems with the test site...

8)

Sponsored Links
Back