UPGRADING BROADBAND

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Posted here as was unsure where this should go but hope someone can help.

I have an old BT ADSL setup with an old BT Voyager router plugged into my PC and telephone socket.

I want to upgrade but unsure about the options.

What I want is this:

(a) Self-installation (no engineer call)
(b) A device (Home Hub?) which I can hardwire into my PC and which will ALSO enable 'er indoors to use her laptop via wi-fi at the same time

Any ideas as to what BT setup would give me this please?

Many Thanks,

B

Sponsored Links
I'm confused.

Can't you just ring BT (Who I assume are your provider) and ask for a new hub, non wireless hub, must be pretty old?

I'm confused.

Can't you just ring BT (Who I assume are your provider) and ask for a new hub, non wireless hub, must be pretty old?

Have been on the BT website for hours and couldn't find the definitive answer. Rang BT who put me through to a non-UK call centre. The person there didn't make much sense (probably because their first language is clearly not English) They couldn't give me the answers but they did say I had to upgrade to get a new router or buy it from them at an exorbitant price.

Upshot is I am no further forward. I am happy (well sort of) to upgrade but I don't want to sign up to something which won't do what I want it to do.

I was hoping someone on here could advise me as BT are about as much use as a chocolate teapot....

Hello, BT, my homehub is broken, non of the lights come on.

"OK sir, a new one will be sent in the post".

Click.

Sponsored Links
... or just buy your own ADSL router.

BT is a service provider.

Why let them get away with a bad service.

Change to another provider and they will give you a free wireless router.

The OP is being rewarded as a long term customer by being told to pay for what they give free to new customers.

AND they are probably selling it to him for a 200% mark-up.

If he has a router so old its not even wireless, they should be giving him a new one on a platter.

Hello, BT, my homehub is broken, non of the lights come on.

"OK sir, a new one will be sent in the post".

Click.

Before doing this, turn it off as they can interrogate it.

What do you want too upgrade to?
If you want fibre then you need a visit by an engineer, if you just want a package upgrade then they may be able to do that at their end.

Tell BT and their non-UK call centres to go to the big broadband pit where they stole the fires. Call any of the broadband suppliers who use BT copper wires and ask them to quote for service. You will be surprised at how much LESS you will be paying.

If you have Sky TV, getting the phone supplied by them can also be cheaper.

Plusnet are doing it cheap at the mo too.

Research it a bit, see who is best for you.

Can you get fibre to the cabinet? IMO if you are a heavy net user then its worth it, if you are not then you can stick with ADSL.

To answer your question and not veer off on a rant.
BT Routers (non fibre) I have had (and still have), all have wireless and wired capabilities both at one and the same time.
Easy self set up.

-0-

Thanks for all the replies - especially to empip who has answered my main question.

BT no longer do my setup. I have never had a home hub - only a Voyager router. They will not replace my old Voyager with a new BT Home Hub UNLESS I upgrade or pay for a Home Hub.

I now know (thanks to empip) that I can use a BT Home hub with hardwire to my PC and wireless to the wife's laptop. So far so good.

I now need to look at upgrades and that's where BT's website and non-UK call centre are of no help.

Not got Sky TV any more and would never use Sky again.

I will take a look at the alternatives like PlusNet.

Thanks again.

B

Sponsored Links
Back