BT Broadband disappointment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We took the plunge and bought BT Broadband. Downloaded it all last night onto my company laptop and our old home computer. The laptop was working fine with the home hub but when I got to work this morning my laptop wouldn't talk to the company server. Deleted all the BT software and got working again with the help of a rather irritated IT bloke.

I was hoping that my laptop would work at home with the BT Homehub exactly in the same way it does when it picks up wi-fi networks in overseas hotels.

Am I mistaken?

Sponsored Links
WiFi hotspots are designed to be open, ie. they will allow anyone access. Your work and, hopefully, your home network are the opposite and will be secured.

Your I.T. guys should be able to do this for you, but I kind of sympathise with them because it's common for users to assume too much and then ruin a perfectly good setup. Also maintaining an employees home network is always a ballache.

Not simple, it depeds how your work network is configured compared to your home one. I wont go into networking....Think yourself lucky you could install the software on it to start with, where i am we lock all PCs and laptops so users cant install any software themselves as it causes to many problems.

I have BT at home also and found the BT software VERY difficult to work with and have since removed it from my laptop.

It seems to be a common cause of problems when too many applications start sticking their ore into what the wireless connection should be doing.

Sponsored Links
I really dont see why people insist on installing the dum bt software (ok I DO know wh= its because BT tell them to !) I always advise people do ditch the free bt router and buy a proper one, up to them if they do.
Anyway, back to the original problem, I'm not suprised your IT guy wasnt happy, I wouldnt be either, what you need to understand is that the lappy is for WORK use, and whilst to an extent its your IT depts fault for not having the lappy locked down enought to allow you to install software, you really ought to have cleared it with them. A corporate network and a home network arnt really the same, and depending on their policy, the company may or may not permit you to use your laptop in the way you mention above. The best way is to simply ask the IT guy (or maybe another IT guy if you upset this one;) ) would it be possible because you would really like to do some work at home.

systemtek said:
Not simple, it depeds how your work network is configured compared to your home one. I wont go into networking....Think yourself lucky you could install the software on it to start with, where i am we lock all PCs and laptops so users cant install any software themselves as it causes to many problems.

It's not that complicated and any technician worth his salt should be able to do it. The complicated bit is when home users fiddle.

systemtek said:
Think yourself lucky you could install the software on it to start with, where i am we lock all PCs and laptops so users cant install any software themselves as it causes to many problems.

I'm with you there. I wish I had that luxury. :LOL:

systemtek wrote:

Think yourself lucky you could install the software on it to start with, where i am we lock all PCs and laptops so users cant install any software themselves as it causes to many problems.

I'm with you there. I wish I had that luxury.

me too - to an extent !
I was with you 100% when I was employed, now I'm the boss and work = money I dont mind so much when people fiddle !

Thanks Gentlemen for the replies. All so true!

I'll let the IT bloke recover for a few days before asking him if he can set it up for me!

Meanwhile, do you mind giving some more advice?

The BT software wouldn't work on our own computer because it dates from 1999 with Windows 98 but crucially, seems to be missing a vital file according to the BT setup, which invited us to reinstall disc 2 of Win 98, which we haven't got.

Since we were planning to buy a new home computer anyway, would we be able to make this link with BT broadband without downloading all the BT rubbish?

As the router is already connected to BT, it is a simple case of connecting your new PC to the router and running the network setup wizard. You don't need any additional software to connect.

As the router is already connected to BT, it is a simple case of connecting your new PC to the router and running the network setup wizard. You don't need any additional software to connect.
Usually true, however if the lappy is part of the corporate network, you may have to disable proxy.

Eggplant said:
Usually true, however if the lappy is part of the corporate network, you may have to disable proxy

I was assuming he was referring to home use only.

RigidRaider said:
Since we were planning to buy a new home computer anyway, would we be able to make this link with BT broadband without downloading all the BT rubbish?

ah Im sorry, my bad. Thats what happens when you skim over and dont read properly ;)

:eek:

I was startled to read the new posts on this subject !

This computer muppet installed BT broadband two days ago (a more knowledegable friend amended a few settings for me). So far it is working fine. The router is BT's, a Voyager 210, and the computer is a Dell Inspiron 9100. I am keeping my fingers crossed now in case I spoke too soon ......

Belrose :(

Well we got a new computer. We've had a HELL of a time getting it all working, with two calls to BT in India, both of which have resolved our problems.

This morning however the computer and the Belkin wireless transmitter aren't talking to each other. When I look at the network connection it tells me it's firewalled. We downloaded AVG free last night, could this be the problem?

I have reconnected the computer to the BT Homehub with the cable for the time being.

Sponsored Links
Back