Wi Fi problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 laptop. This was working with wifi to a BT Home Hub with no problems. As the computer was beginning to get slow I did a complete hard disk format amd reinstalled XP. Now the wi fi link is playing up. The signal strength is excellent. When I check the wireless connection properties and enter the key (10 characters) I can then connect. However, after a few minutes the connection drops out. Rechecking the properties shows the key has reduced to 8 characters. Enter the correct key and the whole problem repeats. Any one any ideas? TIA

Sponsored Links
when you say it drops to 8 characters, do you mean 8 undisplayed character eg. dots?

Your best bet I think would be to hook up via an ethernet cable, and try to update to the latest drivers for your BT Home hub.

Thyanks for your reply. Yes it is 8 black dots. My other laptop and my PDA both connect with no problems, so the hub is OK.

The dropping to 8 dots is a red herring think as this is just a way of obfusticating the password. Does it drop out after the same amount of time or is it random? Have you tried updating the drivers on your laptop?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for further info. Dropout time appears to be the same and yes, I have downloaded drivers from Toshiba and installed them.

does it drop the connection when hardwired (ethernet) to the router?

Hmmm, well the problem seems to be at the laptop end rather than a problem with your router. Have you tried a windows update?

Have you any antivirus / firewall software installed, e.g. norton / mcafee?

If so, disable this and see if the problem still occurs.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 laptop. This was working with wifi to a BT Home Hub with no problems......I did a complete hard disk format amd reinstalled XP.
Have you still got the box that the laptop came in?

From memory, the SP4600 needed an update from the Toshiba web site for the wireless card to be able to use better than 64bit WEP encryption.

Have a look at this page clicky Select archived files as the product type and then select your model etc.

Sponsored Links
Back