Wi-fi killing/freezing bios

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I have a problem on a friends computer. I am the resident computer geek but this stumped me. When he tries to startup with the D-link USB Wi-Fi adapter connected the Bios (American Megatrends) gets to "checking NVRAM" freezes and only works when the Adapter is disconnected. It used to work fine until this starts. When you are booted up and logged on, you connect the adaptor and internet is fine. What is wrong? :mad: <me!

Sponsored Links
Do you have the latest bios update?

More info on your setup would be useful.

Problem is with the USB rather than the wifi device me thinks.

Check your USB setting in the bios.

Is there an option in bios to boot from a USB device? Just a thought.

it used to be working fine.
I dont have much info on the pc (it's a friends) but i think it has a 900MHz AMD Duron and 384mb of ram no option or anything for usb. no-one has been in the bios. Except the fact he got a fancy logitech wireless deskset and that uses usb. a few days after installing it BAM!! wi-fi no workie. are they linked

Sponsored Links
it used to be working fine.
I dont have much info on the pc (it's a friends) but i think it has a 900MHz AMD Duron and 384mb of ram no option or anything for usb. no-one has been in the bios. Except the fact he got a fancy logitech wireless deskset and that uses usb. a few days after installing it BAM!! wi-fi no workie. are they linked

Use a standard Keyboard and mouse and then try and boot.

Quick solution would be to just plug the wifi adapter after it has booted up.

Still think a bios update may be the permanent fix. ;)

Back