bt incomer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good morning

long winded question i'm afraid

moved to property, found disconnected incoming bt (supposedly) incoming line fron overhead supply.

this consisted of 7-core, 3xred, 1xblack, 1xgreen, 1xwhite, 1xorange.

white and orange when tested across gave 50v dc, orange being the +.

i assumed that would give me a line, but not the case, nothing at all when put through a NTE5 master.

the other 5 had nothing at all going through them.

help!!!!!

kangaroo

Sponsored Links
Presumably you will be ordering a line from BT ?

If so tell them there is no phone socket and they will install one as part of the connection.

Given that this wire is BT's, what have they said when you asked them?
You have asked BT havn't you?

orange and white is pair one,green and black is pair two,3 x red are support wires,if they are red the cable is fairly old as they are now white.If you have 50v on o/w you should have a dial tone or there is a fault on the line.If your having your line with b.t they will have to put this right as they have to deliver dial tone and store a good line test at the master socket afterwards. o/w should go to a and b on back of nte or 2 and 5 if old type nte,you will probably find dial tone but will not be able to use it as its classed as a stopped line,probably from previous occupants

Sponsored Links
I'd just shove a NTE5 (prefeablly an old BT branded one) on the orange and white pair and then call BT and say you want to reactivate the line at the property. If the line doesn't come up when they activate it then they should send an engineer out.

I wouldn't tell them that the BT socket has been removed or they will probablly try and charge you for a complete new install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back