BT Wiring Question

I've got the bills for the two cottages and there is definitely something strange. {.....}

As Simon says, if there are supposed to be two different numbers there, and after testing the incoming pairs you have nothing but the working service which is currently operating on pair 1 (orange/white), then something has been messed up and it's time to call BT and get it sorted out.

It sounds as though a change order has been completely garbled or misentered somewhere along the line.

plugwash said:
If it can acheive 2 megabit/sec downstream and 512k upstream back to base (should be able to in most cases unless the line is REALLY s**t) and it needs 64kbit/s in each direction for the two voice links that still leaves plenty of capacity to make the data service more than 10 times faster than dialup. Particulally if the box was smart enough to dynamically allocate bandwidth.

2 Mb/s would be optimistic for many long lines though, and it's at the extremities of the exchange service area where line shortages are often the most acute. I'm in such a location, 5 miles from the exchange and right at the edge of its service area. We have only about 100 pairs running to the little estate of approx. 200 homes from the nearby village about a mile away, and there's already a line concentrator installed there to ease the shortage of pairs back to town (for non-DSL subs, obviously).

I can just about squeeze 1.2Mb/s from my line, but with a rather variable noise floor it's not a 100% reliable connection. 0.7 to 0.8 Mb/s is more realistic to ensure no drops as the noise level changes. There are other DSL lines where even those speeds are a little on the optimistic side due to plant issues and distance. There are people on lines where 0.5 Mb/s is realistically all that can be achieved reliably. Fair enough, you could still run two 64 kb/s voice channels over that and have faster DSL download speeds that with dialup (especially if dialup is over DACS). But it would be a huge investment to design and deploy when other systems are in the pipeline.

Sponsored Links
Simples innit :D Its is amazing the ignorance of people about plant, most people have a dedicated pair of copper wires from their house back to the exchange no matter what the distance.
If the alarm guys think that the network and engineers are so crap why not transfer their business to the mobile network, after all you cant cut a signal.

we did - long ago, got fed up of advising customers showing line fault to look outside for a ffng BT van.

You are quick to slate B.T ,so why not stand up and be counted and tell us what perfect company you work for ATILLA go on i dare you

notice he hasn`t denied it ..................!

Simples innit :D Its is amazing the ignorance of people about plant, most people have a dedicated pair of copper wires from their house back to the exchange no matter what the distance.
If the alarm guys think that the network and engineers are so crap why not transfer their business to the mobile network, after all you cant cut a signal.

we did - long ago, got fed up of advising customers showing line fault to look outside for a ffng BT van.

JUST AS I THOUGHT YOU DON``T HAVE THE BALLS TO STAND UP AND BE COUNTED ,YOU JUST SIT IN A CORNER AND THROW INSULTS AT OTHERS
Just like i thought you don`t have the balls to stand up and be counted,you just hide in a corner and throw insults at others people/companies

You are quick to slate B.T ,so why not stand up and be counted and tell us what perfect company you work for ATILLA go on i dare you

we did - long ago

And in this area at least, you can't rely on using a mobile network in the event of a power failure. Keeping a service running without grid power doesn't seem to high on the list of priorities for the mobile service providers.

Sponsored Links

JUST AS I THOUGHT YOU DON``T HAVE THE BALLS TO STAND UP AND BE COUNTED ,YOU JUST SIT IN A CORNER AND THROW INSULTS AT OTHERS
Just like i thought you don`t have the balls to stand up and be counted,you just hide in a corner and throw insults at others people/companies

at least I had the balls to actually make something with my life and employee a few people into the bargain ............. IDC puncher`s can`t even be trusted to turn a screwdriver

Atilla wrote

[qu I own the regions premier alarm firm, BT class us as a large REDCARE user (over 350 connections)ote][/quote]

He then went on to inform us about the mobile network.

[/quwe did - long ago, got fed up of advising customers showing line fault to look outside for a ffng BT van.ote]

Red care and mobile Hmmm

I think a set of batteries and a torch are beyond your capabilities .

He then went on to inform us about the mobile network.

Red care and mobile Hmmm

I think a set of batteries and a torch are beyond your capabilities .

redcare secure2 (agile as was) - were you off that day your collegue had his "in depth training"?

Atilla , Could I just ask?
Do you sell your alarm systems to customers on the basis that if an intruder gets in a call will be made to a recieving station?

I know you can't tell them that they would get a police response because that as you know is illegal. Do you have a website I could see?

The reason I am asking is because on this thread you seem to be saying that your customers are always calling you because their systems show line faults and that BT are incapable of providing a service compatible with your clients security needs.

This seems to add a new dimension to the wired vs wireless debate in that a chain being only as strong as its weakest link a wireless system using a gsm dialler can easily match a wired alarm trying to chugg through BT spaghetti?

CEC,

Did you (or your customer) get anything back from BT on this yet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back