NTE5 Problem - wiring help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have dislodged the master BT box (NTE5 - Openreach box) while moving furniture. I think one or two of the wires may have come out althought not sure.

I've read up on the wiring of these boxes and I have the standard orange, white, black and green wires coming in from outside and connected the orange and white to the A and B terminals. This gave me nothing at all. I then connected orange and black which gave me slow broadband and no dial tone again.

Is it possible I need to try a different combination of the wires?

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
White and Orange are the first pair.

The fact that you had slow broadband with the Orange connected suggests the Orange White pair is the pair to use. ( Broad band will often work with limited speed with only one wire connected )

What are you using to test the line. ? Can you plug a simple phone into the socket on the back of the NTE 5 ( with the front plate removed ) to test for dial tone ?

Do you have a volt meter, if so look for 50 volts between two wires. That will be the pair to use..

Where does the cable (Or/Wh Bk/Gn) when it leaves the building could it have been tugged and loosened a connection on a terminal box

Sponsored Links
Orange and white together gives no broadband at all. Have done this using the test socket.

Haven't got a vol meter so can't test right now. Will get one in the morning and try.

Have check the cable externally and it's pinned to the wall and pretty secure.

Try o/w on A leg and g/b on B leg,sometimes lazy engineers who could not be bothered to change a damaged dropwire would use two pairs instead of one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back