BT Master Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The internet is really slow, so I decided to get a BT IPlate to see if that would make any difference, but I opened up the master socket, and found out that the extensions are wired into the back of the socket - not the front bit (so I'm assuming the IPlate won't do anything), and also that one of the extensions has another master socket on it. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
The first thing to do is figure out whether the slowness is really a problem with your ADSL or a problem elsewhere.

Check the sync speeds and error rates your router is reporting. If the sync speed is decent (say 2 megabit or more) and the error rate low then the blame for your slowness probablly lies elsewhere.

If the stats from your router really do indicate a poor connection then the next thing I would do is disconnect everything except the incoming line, plug the router directly into the master socket and see what happens to the stats. If they stay roughly the same then the problem is outside the bit of wiring you control and there isn't much you can do about it. If they do improve considerablly it's time to consider options for changing your wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back