Telephone Master Socket

V

vanillasky

I have read in a few different places on the web that you must have a BT master socket (NTE5) as your first socket and then you can install secondary extension sockets from this.
I'm decorating the hall at the moment and have removed the master socket to paint the wall. In order for the telephone to still work, I have twisted the ends of the incoming phone line together with the line that leads to my first extension socket (I hard-wired this into the main socket some while ago) so, in effect I'm by-passing the master socket and my first extension socket is now the first socket in the house.
My phone still works (in and out) and my internet still works and seems to have suffered no ill-effects.
I know the NTE5 master socket has a ring capacitor and other filters inside but my question is: why must you have this master socket (apart from the legal reason that BT actually own the incoming line and master socket). To be honest, I'd much rather have a small sized extension socket in place of the ugly great NTE5 socket and what BT don't know about ain't gonna hurt them.

Sponsored Links
What you could do is get an old small sized master socket and plug your extensions into the front of it.

Or try and countersink it into the wall with a metal back box

Hello Andy and thanks for your reply. I don't think I can countersink the socket into the wall because the main line in will be running along the top of the skirting board (when the decorating's finished). Not an ideal situation as I like to have as many wires as possible 'hidden' but I can't really do anything else. The floor is concrete so no floorboards to lift up unfortunately.
I'll have a look for a smaller sized master socket but I'd still like to know why I can't physically use (presumably) a small extension socket as my first socket when it appears to work fine - apart from the fact that BT own this first stretch of line and first master socket.

Because

1 bt expect to see it.
2 it contains capacitor to make some phones ring
3 contains surge protector
4 contains resistor for line test.

I would think you will be able to counter sink the back half in a plaster board wall.

Buy a standard 1G back box

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for clearing that up for me. ;)

Just had another look at my existing NTE5 socket and I can countersink it into the wall with a backbox. There is an entrance hole on the bottom of the front plate for the wire to go through.

Just realised I've started this thread in the wrong section as there is a section for alarms and telephones already.
Mods feel free to move it. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back