BT/Openreach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So agreed (blackmailed) into having a fibre install... Planned date for the external work to be completed on Monday 10th September with the internal work on the 3rd October. Last night received a text informing me that the external work had been completed - WTF?

Checked the Order Tracking on the BT website to find that they have also changed the date to complete the internal work to a date in September without any consultation with me or the wife, the customers.

Yes, I know it's Openreach who do the work but it's with BT I placed the order with and agreed the appointments. Doesn't show the companies up as being customer focused!

Whilst I guess most people want it done ASAP for personal reasons I don't which is why I was very definate on dates for the work to be completed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just be grateful it's not a Virginmedia connection you have booked.
Their new cable installations are sometimes delayed repeatedly over weeks or months, with no warning except that they don't turn up on the day they've said.

Email the ceo and your mp.

Certainly there are circumstances in life which means doing things early or late causes major problems and you need to take it to the top as the plebs lower down doing the work will only be doing as they are told.

You can ask them to leave if it isn’t what you agreed if they refused you can call the police.

By the external work do you mean that they have installed a fibre line up to your external wall? (They haven't disconnected your copper landline by any chance have they - probably not, but worth checking). Is there a little grey box somewhere on your wall at a low level? If everything in your house is still connected as before, then it's just the date change for the internal work that you need to sort out. I suspect that they had a cancellation or two in your road and decided to crack on with your connection outside. Or they were doing one and so were told to do yours too.
I found the BT Twitter team excellent when we had a fibre outage recently - send a private message and be polite, they really did try hard to help me. I know that Twitter has a bad reputation, but many companies have an account and with several it's been the only way that I have had a result.

Sponsored Links
By the external work do you mean that they have installed a fibre line up to your external wall? (They haven't disconnected your copper landline by any chance have they - probably not, but worth checking). Is there a little grey box somewhere on your wall at a low level? If everything in your house is still connected as before, then it's just the date change for the internal work that you need to sort out. I suspect that they had a cancellation or two in your road and decided to crack on with your connection outside. Or they were doing one and so were told to do yours too.
I found the BT Twitter team excellent when we had a fibre outage recently - send a private message and be polite, they really did try hard to help me. I know that Twitter has a bad reputation, but many companies have an account and with several it's been the only way that I have had a result.
Y es, I've been told they've installed the external connection box. My wish to be there when they fitted it was two reasons; not mess up the front and side gardens, and put the box on the side of the house not the front and block the copper cable entry point into the house - why? Cause ants use that hole to nest in the cavity. When the interconnection is withdrawn I am/was intending to fill the hole with motar, the ants dig silicon and other sealers out.
Whether or not they like it the internal works and router is going into the middle of the house where my admittedly small patch panel is.

Today Openreach have come and shifted the external box. Then checking my eMail today I've had 2 eMails from BT. first confirming they will be coming Monday 3rd, good, but looks like it was an automatically generated one. As the next one, timed a couple of hours later telling me they have retimed it to November! Really?

How much more messing around have I got put up with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back