Btu requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using the plumbcentre online btu calculator and I'm a bit confused.

My 3.2x4.3m living room, with cwi, concrete floor, dg 2sqm window, needs 5000btu/h according to the calculator.

Originally i picked a double panel 600x1600 rad. About 9000btu/h. I picked this on the basis that it looked/felt right in that space, prior to doing any working out.

We took out of the room two radiators. Both old.

I know I should overspec the heating somewhat, but is my chosen rad overkill?

I'm going to go around and properly work out all the heat requirements for each room if this is appropriate and I shouldn't size rads by gut feeling.

Sponsored Links
Time to move into the 1970's and use kW

Exactly! Been kW since 1980 !

You have not described your property construction, but in worst case should not need more than about 100W per sq. m.

So the calculator is about right.

Unless you are working as a heating engineer I don't understand why you think that you should be able to guess the size required.

Tony

It's a semi with injected filled cavity walls and will have loft insulation by winter. Double glazed throughout.

Sponsored Links
1.5KW sounds about right for the size, the 2.8Kw rad you have chosen will be fine as long as you fit a thermostatic valve. At least it will heat the room a bit quicker.

A larger radiator means you can operate it at a lower water temperature for the same heat output as a smaller radiator at a higher water temperature. The advantage of this is that most boilers are more efficient if the return water temperature is lower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back