Bubble wrap protection and insulating roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed some 200mm insulation (over the thinner insulation already there) in the eves of the loft as the centre is boarded over for storage. We hope to have the old slate tiles renewed next year as we get a lot of dust and mortar falling off them they are so old. In the meantime I was wondering if sheets of bubblewrap could be placed over the new insulation to stop dust falling onto it as well as any possible water leaks that may fall onto it and spoil it. Also, could the rest of the loft have it attached with drawing pins temporary to the wooden roof frame to stop further dust falling in as well as insulating the loft further until the tiles are replaced ? My brother in law did the same with his roof except he used thin polystyrene sheets which has made a huge difference to his fuel bills.

Sponsored Links
Use a 'breathable roof membrane' stapled to the underside of the rafters. Look on ebay for the cheapest suppliers.

Trouble is I have laid the 200mm insulation so won't be able to get to the underside of the roof tiles in the eves because I can't lie on and compress the material. I will consider it for the rest though thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, it's not too big of a space and I can use a pole to guide it over :cool: i suppose anything between the tiles and the loft floor is good for trapping heat. I have some cardboard sheets i could staple but probably not ideal. Just something until I have the tiles replaced because they may damage breathable sheets.

Your bubble wrap will have no ramifications so feel free.

BTW the breathable membrane I mentioned would have only been temporary anyway, when your roof is replaced a new membrane will go on top of the rafters anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back