Bubbles in emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Really frustrated at the moment with bedroom painting - bubbles approx. 1-3mm in diameter appearing every time paint is applied.

Hopefully the following will explain :
I believe the wall to be fine as there were no bubble issues when first "finished"
The paint is a Craig & Brown 1829 Chalky Emulsion which I have used many times before with no problems
The reason I had to revisit the walls was due to some large cracks that I wasn't happy with so stripped them back to refill, sand, etc. with the hope of a better finish!
The problem I believe is when the roller was washed out in soapy water using liquid soap ( :eek: don’t ask) rather than washing up liquid, and the next coat applied has then contaminated the wall everywhere the roller has been since with some sort of grease/oil from the liquid soap.

In loads of places now, I have scraped back the bubbles, washed/stripped the wall back to previous colour (needed to use B&Q non-caustic paint & varnish remover), washed this off too, but bubbles still appearing. I have of course jettisoned the offending roller, but the bubbles still appear which is why my contamination theory seems most likely to me.

What is going to be the best (and least time consuming) way to fix this problem? Have seen various posts re: primer/sealer e.g. Zinsser but can this go on the surfaces as they are now, or is it more crappy scraping that's required first?

Really hacked off with this room (can you tell?), so confirmation of my theory (or others proposed) would be helpful, along with how I fix this for good!

Two photos included - easier to see on 2nd one as paint is cream!

Many thanks.

View media item 51851 View media item 51852

Sponsored Links
Yep thats contaminates. :(
Liquid soap often has animal fat in it like the lanolin found in sheeps wool.
You need a degreasent like sugar soap or household amonia but thats not much help with it covered with paint.
You could try fine sanding the bubbled area's and perhaps doing a coat of old fashoined eggshell to seal it. I have just paited over badly nicotine stained walls with it, it works a treat.

Good luck

^bump^

Sandrine - thanks for your reply.

Can anyone else recommend any other solutions to my problem e.g. eggshell as above or which of the many Zinsser products might do the trick?

Thanks in advance! :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back