Bubbling paint help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

When I moved into my house there was a bad leak, which was coming in the ceiling above the window. I had the roof repaired but only got around to redecorating the room some year or two later.

A few months after I repainted I noticed some of the paint above and around one side of the window where the leak was started bubbling and coming away. I called out the roofer back because I was initially concerned I had another leak, but there was no sign of one. I also checked outside the house incase there was any cracks where water might be getting in, but there was nothing obvious.

I was advised by the roofer to remove the bubbling paint, put some damp seal down and then repaint. I did this but some 4 or 5 months later some bubbling in and around the area where I put damp seal returned.

Is it possible the wall has retained some of the moisture from the leak and this is causing the paint to bubble? I have no idea how long the previous owners allowed the leak go untreated. If this might be the cause should I dehumidify the room for a month or two or take a hairdryer to the affected area? I really don't want to repaint again before the issue is resolved!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Bubbling is almost certainly caused by moisture. Try a dehumid or a heater. Dont forget if you painted when still moist the paint can lock the moisture in.

Moisture can be a funny thing.

Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back