Bubbling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our kitchen was renovated a few years ago. New waterproof plasterboard put in. In a couple of spots (both above plug sockets, and either side of the sink) the paint has bubbled. See photo.

Every so often I sand it down and repaint. I apply 2 coats of Zinsser Gardz first but that doesn't do the trick. I last repainted about 6 weeks ago. It seems to bubble up in the summer most. The bubbled area also seems to be riding up the wall whenever it reappears.

Any suggestions on how to make it go away for good? I wonder if it's perhaps the void where the plug socket is, maybe moisture or condensation somehow gets in through that?

Selling the house so would love to fix this annoying but (hopefully purely) cosmetic issue!
PXL_20210925_100953585.jpg

Sponsored Links
Was there ever any water ingress there in the past?

Not sure guards is ideal for that, probably want zinsser cover stain or bull's eye or something

No water ingress historically although the walls were a bit damp before (hence replacing the plasterboard with waterproof stuff).

Sponsored Links
What is above the kitchen? Bathroom, ensuite, shower?

A relatively small leak from above could cause that - tracking down the plaster behind the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back