Buderus boiler with wireless thermostat and Potterton??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The house that I'm now living has a Buderus boiler:

It is controlled with a wireless controller / thermostat:

There is another control panel on the wall that wasn't connected. Today I connected it to the mains and the controller powers up and works (it's a Potterton EP4001):

The Potterton controller has the ability to set different heating times for the weekend, something which the wireless controller doesn't have.

I wondered whether it is possible to have the 2 controllers connected.

I must point out that I know nothing about boilers really (although I know about electronics and electrics to some extent).

The boiler side of the wireless controller looks like it just goes into the Thermostat Terminals (2 wires). Reading the instructions of the boiler it looks like you can take Live/Neutral out of the boiler on a terminal block and run them to a third party controller (i.e. the Potterton).

I presume (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Potterton will simply switch the Live and I can route this back into the "Live Return" terminal of the Boiler:

Apologies for the long, rambling post but, in short my questions are these:

Am I correct about my assumptions that I can wire the Boiler Third party Live and Neutral to my Potterton and that my Potterton is basically just a switch and I'll wire a Live Return back to my boiler.

Assuming I do that, what will happen to my 'wireless' thermostat? I presume it will continue to act as a thermostat but will that work in tandem with the Potterton or conflict with it or be ignored once the Potterton is connected in??

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks for any help/guidance you can give me.

Cheers

John :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back