Budget Hedge Trimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to pick up a hedge trimmer to cut back a big overgrown hedge in the garden. I don't know what species of hedge it is but thought about just getting one of these budget brand tools like the Mac Allister from B&Q.

The reviews were awful though saying the battery died shortly after purchase and it was only up to trimming leaves and thin twigs.

What should I look for in a hedge trimmer, are budget ones worthwhile and does anyone have any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
A big overgrown hedge and budget battery trimmer doesn't look a promising combination I'm afraid. I have a Makita that will chew through 25mm but that was £200 and kills a 6ah battery in 10mins on highest setting which is needed for thicker stuff.

Last edited:
Would it be better to opt for corded?

I don’t see too much benefit in cordless for the area I have.

I am on the look out for a new hedge trimmer too. Need one on a pole so I can keep a taller hedge under control.

Sponsored Links
I plumped for this one in the end as I have a couple batteries for my combi drill.

https://www.toolstation.com/makita-18v-52cm-hedge-trimmer/p48737

Makita 18V 52cm Hedge Trimmer Body Only

48737.jpg

Product Details

This Makita 18V hedge trimmer has a 520mm stain free, double sided shear blade with nickel plating, that features a high anti-abrasion surface for a longer lasting coating. The blade can be removed without disassembling the housing. The rubberised soft handle provides a comfortable and sure grip, while the 5 cushions absorb vibration from both the blade and motor-crank section as part of the anti-vibration structure. Features battery capacity warning light for optimum convenience - blinking red signals power has nearly been used up, while a solid red indicates power has been completely used up. Body only, battery and charger not included.

• Blade length: 520mm
• Cutting diameter: 15mm
• Strokes per minute: 1350spm
• Noise sound pressure: 77 dB(A)
• Vibration factor: 1.5 m/sec²
• Weight: 3.4kg

Should this be decent enough for the very rare use it will probably get?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back