Hedge Trimmer for Deep Hedge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding a hedge trimmer. I have a fairly deep hedge and have difficulty cutting the far side of the top. At the moment I am using a step ladder, balancing on the top two steps and using an electric hedge cutter with a 60cm blade. This gives a nice finish for about half of the hedge. Access to the other side of the hedge is restricted.

My first thought was to get a working platform but I think reaching over the hedge would be difficult. Also, as the top of the hedge is about 2.5m off the floor the platform height would need to be 1.5m-2m to allow the reach across the hedge. Most small portable platforms seem to have a working height of 3m which is a platform height of 1m.

I was therefore thinking of getting a telescopic/pole hedge trimmer and using this from the top of the step ladder. I could use the existing trimmer for the first section and then the pole version for the branches that are farther away (deeper into the hedge).

Does anyone have any better ideas?

I was looking to spend up to around £200 and the pole cutters I have been looking at are:

Bosch AMW 10 HS Multi-Tool with Pole Hedgecutter Attachment

Ryobi RPT4045

POWERPLUS POWXG2060

I would prefer the electric to be honest, but general feedback is that although the weight of the petrol can be greater it is more manageable as the motor is at the end closest to your body and the unit is shaft driven. The Ryobi is lighter but has the weight at the far end, not something I fancy when standing on a ladder with the pole extended. With that said the trimmer can rest on the top of the hedge.

Any suggestions or info on models will be much appreciated.[/url]

Sponsored Links
I would strongly recommend a better ladder. I bought a combination ladder off ebay for a mere £55, which can be a ladder extending to 3.7m, or a work platform 1m high. It is so much more stable than a step ladder when cutting a hedge. I have the same problem as you as I use a Bosch cordless electric hedge trimmer. I would not use a corded one, too dangerous IMO.

Thanks very much for your reply.

If the platform is 1m high I am only 1/3-1/2 way up the hedge. This (combined with my short body) won't give me enough 'reach' over the hedge.

The top step of my current step ladder is about 20cm below the top of the hedge and I don't get enough height off this. My feet level would be much lower with the 1m platform.

Depending on the type of hedge you might also be able to reduce its depth to make life easier in the long term. For example in my experience privet can withstand very severe cutting back, both on the top and on the sides.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your reply.

If the platform is 1m high I am only 1/3-1/2 way up the hedge. This (combined with my short body) won't give me enough 'reach' over the hedge.

The top step of my current step ladder is about 20cm below the top of the hedge and I don't get enough height off this. My feet level would be much lower with the 1m platform.

Yes, the platform would not solve your problem, you still need a long cutter, but it is more stable hence safer. If your shoulders are still below the desired top of the hedge, I guess that platform would not be of use to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back