Garden Hedge Reduction - Waste Disposal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our front garden we have a large garden hedge 4-5 meters high and 25 meters long.

Ultimately we want to remove the hedge and replace with 2-meter fence, but I know we need planning for this.

So my plan at present is to reduce the height of the hedge (so I can keep under control with pole trimmer) and get it back from the path as much as possible. I would probably need a platform to safely accomplish this given its current height.

Considering getting the Pro's in but I wonder if anyone has any advice RE disposing of a large amount of hedge waste cheaply?

Attachments

• IMG_2812.JPG
    IMG_2812.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 145
Sponsored Links
You would have to hire a chipper and if it's a Leylandii hedge, it'll have to be a 4" petrol chipper. Probably £100 for the day, plus you will need to toe it. Then a small skip and tarpaulin to direct the cuttings. Plus, do you have a suitable chainsaw. Finally, the old stumps need removed.

If it's against the highway, max 1m high, anywhere else, 2m. Above that, you should seek planning. Most people don't but if you get pulled.......

Hi Bonni, thanks for your advice.

Yeah, I knew about the fence height and planning, sorry if that wasn't clear. We just want to reduce the height not remove at present (as we don't have planning yet)!

It's difficult for us to get a skip, it would have to go on the road.

I guess I could get it into bags and use a smaller shredder so I can move by hand I will check the thickness of the branches.

Even a reduction in height and a trim will be a lot of waste.

Sponsored Links
A chipper isn't much use for trimmings.

Is there space anywhere in the garden (or next door) of a few metres clear where you could have a drum incinerator?

Or have you got transport ie van/pickup/trailer? How far is it to the recycling centre and do they take green waste?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back