Strap / Harness for Long reach Stihl battery hedge trimmer

Our hedge is far taller but what we just had done was we paid an arborist company to reduce it several feet to a height I am happy I can maintain using pole-trimmers and ladders.

The equivalent Stihl Pole-saw would be the HTA86 and it extends to more like 4m giving a working height of about 5m, so around 1m more than the hedge trimmer. I have the 85 models of both and they are great (until you get the saw blade stuck in a branch 4m up!)

I use the AP200 battery in both of these and also my Stihl electric chainsaw. I find for the hedge trimmer, the battery has far more life than my shoulders do. It really can do a lot of work, so I'm glad I didn't bother with the AP300.

I'm not sure I'd want to use it to reduce a hedge though, you end up doing nasty spear cuts. You might have a lot of stuff to get rid of after too so I'd be tempted to pay someone if it's a 1-time job.

henchman-tripod-ladder-jpg.248244

Sponsored Links
I use the AP200 battery in both of these and also my Stihl electric chainsaw. I find for the hedge trimmer, the battery has far more life than my shoulders do. It really can do a lot of work, so I'm glad I didn't bother with the AP300.
Thanks for that , I'm glad the 200 lasts , The 300 battery we had today, Was on 2 lights when first used , in the morning/lunch - charged , then use afternoon and this morning - still had 4 leds when finished, so I had hoped the 200 would be OK , thanks for confirming that

1.2Kg v 1.8kg

thats some height

In the chainsaw it's different but I am really impressed with these tools. Took me a long time to decide to get them as they're pricey, but they are basically pro tools. And like you, I hope to recoup the cost not needing to pay people to do work l I can manage myself.

I hope to recoup the cost not needing to pay people to do work
I may have asked the guy who quoted to cut the thing down a foot or 2 , otherwise i have just saved £600 Thur/Fri - so the thing is already paid for !!! I guess

I was getting a lot of pressure to get it done.

The Other Half is very pleased with it, she is very very fussy about what is cut and how in the garden , if she is happy then Job done.

Sponsored Links
With a big hedge it's better to reduce by several feet lower than you want the final height.
After its cut the outer branches start to grow to more upright position which coupled with the side shoots growth adds even more to the overall height.
The aim is always to be cutting fresh soft growth

I find it easier to use a "handheld" (none long reach) hedgecutter to cut the face of a hedge, can cut over 9ft high with a long blade, and a backpack battery so the machine is nice and light. Beyond that either tripod ladder or telescopic hedge cutter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back