Long Reach Hedge Trimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've recently moved house and there's a 15 metre run of what appears to be leylandii hedge in the garden. It's about 2.5 - 3 metres high.
It could do with a trim, both on the face and the top and I'm wondering what the best tool for the job is.

I can borrow a standard hedge trimmer but I've seen a long reach one in Lidl which extends up to 3 metres and can be flipped 90 degrees to cut the top of the hedge. Is this likely to be any good? Or is it ok in theory but I'd need to spend double the price on a better brand.

Or am I better off with a standard hedge trimmer and a set of stepladders? Could just see it taking a long time with that method.

Sponsored Links
If you have a good tool hire company near you, they will have a petrol long reach one? You can stand on the ground and do it in safety.

A few hours will do it

The idea that you can succesfully trim the top of a 2m+ hedge from the ground with a long reach trimmer is purely marketing nonsense.

Not only will it leave the clippings sitting up there but it is also nigh on impossible to get a good level result. Add to this the fact that they only have short blades means they are redundant anyway for a hedge more than 2 feet wide.

You need to get at least your chest level with the top of a hedge to cut it properly. Long reach trimmers are useful for deep (wide) hedges and for facing tall ones.

I think the hire option is good and so will you when you see the price of a long reach by any reputable manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
I use an electric bosch, long blade, from a ali tower with wheels on one end , just drag along as I go.Mines just over 2 metres, best to cut as short as possible or it will be difficult to control growth if left too long unchecked.

Cheers fellas. Think I'll go for the hire option or just get a gardener in, depending on the price.

Be careful if its a Leylandii - if you cut back into wood more than one or two years old it may not recover. - you'll have bare patches.
Important thing about Leylandii is to cut them at least once a year.
I agree that a scaffold tower is the best option. If you use a reasonably high one you will be able to manage with an ordinary hedgetrimmer, not a long reach one.
Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back