Long Reach Hedge Trimmer Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to purchase a long reach hedge trimmer & 3 options available to me.
I am asking for your help / advice as to which i should get.

PHOTOS ATTACHED

Titan as per photo & seller said it runs but needs carb tuning,two others supplied as shown in photo.

Two Ryobi all working,one straight & one curved.

I need to cut a 8ft hedge which will include the top.

Please advise what i should do,thanks

Attachments

• 5668.jpg
    5668.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 226
  • 5669.jpg
    5669.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 218
  • 5670.jpg
    5670.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 233
Sponsored Links
You haven't said the prices, got a link to the ads?

If seller says carb needs tuning and knows that for certain, why doesn't he do it and command a higher price..

An adjustable head has advantages not just for the top of hedges/trees, but because you can stand away from the hedge and attack it from different angles.

I hired an adjustable 8 foot 2 stroke Stihl which was brilliant, but noted that if you can't see across the top of the hedge you won't get an accurate cut. The length of the head (600mm for the Stihl) also limits the depth of cut when cutting a hedge top at an angle.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Those machines don’t seem to have done much work.....Ryobi have the spares situation sorted now.
Check the blades.....if they are blunt or chipped they need to be ground which is around the £45 mark.
John :)

Ok
I see a straight shaft & bent shaft.
Which do you advise ?

Am I correct that the heads will not turn through 90 degrees like the Titon.
If not I won’t be able to cut the top of the hedge.

Looking at your pics, one cutter is straight and not adjustable, the other is.
Both have advantages, but in my opinion cutting the top of a high hedge isn’t as obviously simple as you might think - you cant see whats really happening and cutting through a thick branch isnt so easy either.
Give me a pair of steps or a ladder every time, if possible!
If I had to choose between one or the other it would be the adjustable machine, and it would spend much of its working life in the straight position anyway.
You need to make sure the bevel gear mechanism gets regular greasing, similarly the mechanism within the sole plate.

Hi,
Just found this local to home also £40

Attachments

• 5671.jpg
    5671.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 223
With Stihl and Husqvarna machines, a grease tube is recommended. This screws into a grease point on the machine body and you dispense the lube by squeezing the tube like toothpaste.
Personally I dont find that this is enough so I remove the grease plug, drill it 5mm, tap it 6mm and screw in a grease nipple. I then pump in lithium grease until it oozes from the blades.
Ive found the life of the machine is greatly improved by doing this and as the heads are around £250 or whatever, its worth the modification.

Cheers,
Just got home from collecting the item shown above.

Looks like new as seller only used it once & now moving.

A real bargain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back