Budget Soundproofing - Concrete Ceiling, Steel Supports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 40sqm (7.5m x 4.5m) concrete studio that I need to soundproof. I have a minimal budget. I am hoping you might be able to help recommend some options please!

The concrete ceiling is supported by three big 'n' steels that are present within the room, and they create 300mm deep voids between them at the ceiling. The steels are vertical on the perimeter walls, spanning the width of the ceiling. There are three of them. They are 'n' shaped!

I am considering a 15mm plasterboard suspended ceiling with either a) 100mm/100sqm3 dense fibre wool layers above + air gap between concrete ceiling, or b) warmcell blown cellulose insulation that I have installed in previous buildings as a contractor - I have not observed the soundproofing qualities of this approach, but it does fill all gaps.

My biggest challenge is how to affordably build a suspended ceiling, taking into account the steels, and how to do so ideally by dislocating it from the concrete above.

I don't have the ability to drill into the thick steels.

The soundproofing doesn't have to be super duper, but it needs to reduce amplifier and drumkit noise.

Thank you for your time and expertise,

Best,
Benjamin

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've heard that towels are good at absorbing sound for some reason but I'm not sure how cost-effective they are even if you get them used off eBay. That said, there's free towels being given away in Edinburgh on Freegle. You should check Freegle and Freecycle in your locale. They might not be in any way safe in a fire though.

I have converted a garage into a studio

You basically need a room within a room and avoid any mechanical fixing between the two

Build a 4x2 wall 6" away from the original and sit it on 1" thick neoprene strips , 4" wide.

Then stuff the frame with acoustic rockwool- not loft insulation. 2 layers that are not in contact with each other. Plasterboard with a double layer, making the joints not coincide. Skim.

Same with the ceiling.

Lay rw1 rockwool on the floor and glue chipboardt&g together as you go but don't allow it to contact the walls

Windows can be covered or glazed . The garage we did was already double glazed so we fitted a sheet of laminated glass at an angle to triple glaze it. You must have a big gap and not the same as the double glazing has

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back