fireproof/soundproof downlights for VERY narrow ceiling gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, every room in my flat has a 14 cm distance from the bottom of the plasterboard ceiling (ie, the part I paint) to the solid concrete above.

Apart from my bedroom which for some reason is 9cm - again from the bottom of the ceiling to the concrete above.

Does anyone know / recommend a dimmable, soundproof downlight that will fit in this gap?

Any help really appreciated,

Tom

Sponsored Links
One downlight is not going to provide sufficient light even in a 'mood lit' bedroom. Normally you would have one every metre starting 750mm from the walls edge. You would be better off with a normal ceiling light.

I don't think they make soundproof downlights - fire rated yes (normally if the room above is a living area - though not sure where the ceiling if effectively concrete.

You will struggle to fit a downlight in 90mm of space - most require at least 50mm above the light unit itself and while you can get some as small as 40mm high you might be struggling to meet the manufacturers criteria.

Maybe he means acoustic rated?

JCC say this about their downlighters:

Part E Acoustic standard

In today's modern society there is a general increase in the levels of background noise that can be expected in a domestic environment compared with the past. The evolvement of ever increasing high fidelity systems and associated power outputs, TV, satellite and radio, coupled with noise from traffic such as automobiles, trains and aircraft means that unwanted noise is on the increase.

This additional noise has increased stress levels which ultimately results in poor health and fatigue. The end result is loss of revenue to industry through absence. In light of these concerns, the Government has implemented changes to the building regulations to ensure that a reasonable amount of attenuation can be expected between partition walls and ceilings not only between separate dwellings but also noise derived from within an individual residential area.

The special gaskets incorporated into the Fireguard design ensure that these criteria are met.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone, yes, accoustic rated downlights. I'll be fitting 6 in the room.

Can anyone recommend a very shallow fitting one?

Either that or I'll be lowering the ceiling. I know they're not compulsory but I do like them :)

Halers LED downlighters only require a void of 84mm, and are acoustiinc rated.

They are a bit on the pricey side though.

Hi, are Halers good?

The reason I ask is I was looking at them originally then a chap in a light shop said they're very unreliable - his opinion not mine!

I have no experience with them. I am just about to install some on a job.

I haven't heard any bad reports about them.

You can get surface mounted downlights, the transformer would go elsewhere.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QLCD10W.html[/QUOTE]
TLC are clearly trying to confuse us. What do you make of:
Max wattage 10 watts (10w lamp supplied)
Lamps type: 12v 20w &10w GX4 ( M47 )
Supplied with both lamps
?? !!

AIUI it's suitable for the higher power when surface mounted or the lower power when flush mounted into a cabinet.

TLC are clearly trying to confuse us. What do you make of:
Max wattage 10 watts (10w lamp supplied)
Lamps type: 12v 20w &10w GX4 ( M47 )
Supplied with both lamps
?? !!
AIUI it's suitable for the higher power when surface mounted or the lower power when flush mounted into a cabinet.
That may be true, but it's obviously far from clear from TLC! ... and, in any event, does it come with just the 10W lamp or are "both lamps supplied"?!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back