Build a false chimney? Ive seen pictures of this but....

An issue we had when we installed a log burner was smoke coming into the room every time we opened the stove door (lots of it)

I looked into things from air flow and liners to un-seasoned wood - The father in law was using the same wood and had no problems.

In the end I ripped out the register plate and to my horror I realised that the hole for the pipe was in the wrong place, Basically the smoke was hitting brick and had a hard time getting to where it should be - it was also very hard sweeping the chimney because of this.

The reason it must have been done was because they used a top pipe from the stove into the middle when the actual flue is to the far right.

When I ripped down the register plate it looked something like this.
flue.jpg

I have made the opening for the stove a lot bigger and now it looks like this.
fireplace8.jpg

I have no idea if vermiculite has been used before on this - I will keep a check on peoples comments as I am sure they will be useful to me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back