Build over agreement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thames water was contacted by BC to inform them of Works. I'm doing a side extension.
Thames water said I need a build over agreement.

My builder said I don't need to worry about it as they are removing the manhole and redirecting it. Is he correct in saying this?

Sponsored Links
If you are building within 3m of a public sewer you will need a build over or build near agreement. Building Control will not sign off your job without one. So it begs the question is your extension within 3m of a public sewer or is it private?

I'm not sure if it's a private or shared drain. But if I'm moving the manhole don't I need a build over agreement? Or is it if you only building over the manhole?

Thames water seem to think im within 3m of a public sewer. But the builder thinks it's nothing to worry about as they removing the manhole and.diverting it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The builder can't just move the manhole or the pipe if they belong to the water authority!

You need to get this clarified before work progresses as the risk and liability is with you the householder. Don't rely on what your builder thinks.

My extension went over sewer , removed manhole on my property and moved soil outside extension but required build over agreement with Thames water as the old sewer still ran under extension.

What builder said is they not actually building over. They removing the manhole and re rodding it, or something like that. Also bc said that's fine to do

"Build over" is a generic term, and not just specifically for "building over".

Building control do not own the public drain network, nor enforce the Water Authority's statutory obligations to maintain it.

Anyway, it's your risk.

At sale time, you will be required to produce an agreement document if the buyer's surveyor or legal advisor determine that there should be one in place.

What builder said is they not actually building over. They removing the manhole and re rodding it, or something like that. Also bc said that's fine to do
Asking for the last time, is it private or public? Did BC say they were fine with things or did your builder tell you that's what BC said? BC Approval ultimately rests on the homeowner shoulders not the builders.

It's private sewer with no connection to next door, the public sewer is 10m away.

Last edited:
Build over or near agreement is a better description

If there’s a public sewer the other side of the fence in a neighbours garden it’s possible a build over agreement is needed.

Here's a pic of manhole where it turns to the right it's going towards kitchen.
1000017050.jpg

1000017054.jpg

1000016995.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back