Build up of black stuff in despensing drawer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gang!

I have been meaning to sign up here for ages and put a couple of my 'issuettes' on the forums to see what you think..

I have a 1 year old Hoover washing machine and I notice that the dispensing drawer quite often needs to be cleaned out as it has a build up of what I can only think is fungus/mould (it's black). It never smells and is easily cleaned. It also appears on the underside of where the water is 'injected' in to the drawers....

I noticed that the old washing machine we replaced with this one had exactly the same issue but as it had been left (not noticed by me), it had built up and looked proper nasty!

My questions are:

1. Is it the water type? - Our water is very cloudy!
2. Could it be the washing machine is never run on a hot cycle?
3. Something else.?

All ideas and/or suggestions are gratefully accepted!

Sponsored Links
I think it's fairly universal and something you have to live with, the cleaning, that is. I try to reduce the black mould by chucking the detergent directly into the drum. You can get tablets that are made to put directly in the drum, but I'm too mean to buy these. I do occasionally give the machine a high-temp empty wash with soda/vinegar/etc (have a search on Google for advice on this).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back