No water in soap dispenser drawer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with the soap dispenser drawer in my washing machine. It doesn't seem to fill with any water - at the end of a cycle the soap powder is always bone dry and the softener is untouched. I've tried all the tips for cleaning a scummy drawer i.e. ran on hot wash, crystals, vinegar, cleaning the drawer and back of drawer throughly etc. but it seems this isn't the problem, it's that no water is even getting into the drawer. I've also scrubbed the holes in the roof of the drawer to make sure they're not bunged up but still nothing. Any ideas? Ta

Sponsored Links
make and model might help

I'm not an appliance engineer but I would look at the electrically operated valves that control the water inlet

if it has a hot and cold inlet, see if either works

I am puzzled that it can run a cycle without water going into the powder or the softener containers. Is it filling through the pre-wash?

It's an Indesit WG1432. No water goes into it at all on any cycle. I have to put softener and detergent into the drum with the washing which is a pain and doesn't make them smell as nice!

I'll take a look at the inlet (when I can get the machine out that is!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Presure chamber blocked. Won't fill just thinks it's got water in it but still comes out dry with powder all over it

No sorry I meant no water goes into the drawer on any cycle. Water goes into the drum as normal. Should have been clearer, sorry

Impossible water must go into the dispenser then into hose then into drum. It can't jump from inlet hose to drum. Remove the lid and you will see what I mean.

:confused:

very odd.

is a burst or disconnected hose possible? I would be very interested to see what path the water is taking.

Burst pipe yes but floor and feet very very wet.

Rocks1 is correct.

Remove the whole soap tray, and turn washer on, look inside and look where water is going.

Should drop down into soap tray, drain off into pipe down into drum.

FTB

I'll take a look but no water has been in the drawer for months. It's bone dry and there's a tiny bit of conditioner and powder left from when it did work which has also now dried up. The drum fills as normal and clothes clean fine so water is somehow getting into the drum without going into the drawer. No leaks or other oddities.

It all began several months ago when conditioner was being left behind. A thorough clean and several hot cycles didn't make a difference with conditioner always being left behind. A couple of months later and the powder also stopped being taken as well. Sounds like the pipe slowly clogged up over time - could this be the case?

Problem sorted! I took apart the soap drawer and the section where the water goes in. It looks like over the years the nozzle which redirects water into the correct drawer compartment had slipped slightly and wasn't moving, so all water going in was going straight into the overflow hole and bypassing the drawer completely. I've now realigned the nozzle's teeth with the selector and all is well again.

Thanks for your help everyone, saved myself a few quid on calling out an engineer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back