Build Your Own Light Well or Buy a Pre-Fab Unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This post sort of straddles the windows and roofing sections, but I've opted for here...

We are doing a flat-roof rear extension which will have some roof windows / light wells. The person doing the roof has offered to construct some light wells - essentially building small risers and fitting 6mm double glazing across the top. It is going to add about £800 to the cost for a 1200x800 window.

What are the pros and cons of doing this vs buying a flat roof light unit from Velux or similar?

I prefer a frameless look - which I guess can be achieved with both. I'm quite keen to have windows that can open for ventilation. The manually constructed variant won't offer this. However, I'm not sure if ventilation alone is enough to justify the likely extra purchase/fit cost of an electric unit.

Grateful for any views.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to buy a velux flatroof skylight that size for £800-900 Guaranteed 10yrs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back