Builder has overlooked something on the plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we are nearing 7 months into a 3 months build. Had a few problems with the builder - the delay above is mostly due to there was only one person on site at any time for example, and we have had several period of a couple of weeks where nothing has happened. No problems with quality of work, although if being picky some of the plastering appears a bit thin in places.

However, my question is about extractor fan venting. as part of the work, a downstairs toilet/shower room and utility room were created out of a wide hallway going into the old kitchen (which has since been moved into garage conversion)
They fitted the actual extractor fans themselves to both rooms, as per the architects plans, and as required by building reg's for rooms without windows, but they have not been vented outside (both fans are on isolator switches and actually work, but not currently in use, as not vented, and because the bathroom is not kitted out (that's my job).
Currently the bathroom fan extracts into the utility room and the utility room extracts into the roof void. No question that the best option is to go straight up through the flat roof above, and extract using a mushroom cap, and obviously ensuring the felt made watertight again. Even though its on the plans, it does not appear to be on the fairly high level quote we were originally supplied by builder, and the builder is now saying the venting is going to be extra.
This does not sound right, as we can't get building completion certificate without this being done. I accept I should have ensured it was explicitly in the quote, but this was the first time I have used builders, so a lot was taken on faith.
Any advice?
thanks,

Sponsored Links
On most of the drawings we receive, extractor fans are listed under 'electrical spec'.

Whilst we omit electrics and plumbing from our pricing schedule, we do however give the option to provide vent ducting where necessary. This is particularly relevant when the most sensible option is via the roof and when the scaffold is in place and the roof is being built.

It would be ridiculous to assume someone is going to climb a ladder and try and retrospectively start fitting tile vent terminals once the scaffold has been removed!

On the other hand, wall mounted fans are often sorted by the electrician and the vent hole would be drilled by him using a core drill or looped over into the soffit providing there is room. In this instance it wold fall under electrical contract.

It all comes down to what was specified on the drawings and what was covered in his quote.

Although i'm left a little confused by the post, my opinion would be that they should have vented them properly. If they've gone to the trouble of installing them and electrifying them they need to make sure they work properly.

Like Nose says, quite often builders will leave elect or plumbing out of their price (although we include everything), if they have gone as far as they have, I'd imagine its only right that they finish the job. Its not gonna cost that much either.

Clearly there is a lot more to tell than the OP has included in their modest post but the OP's builder is clawing back every penny and nitpicking because of it.

Another example of the builders on here being a bit daft.

Hypothetical statement coming up; were this a commercial contract being run with a decent PM the prospect of a contractor not allowing for venting to open air would get thrown out the window. Ludicrous!

Sponsored Links
Hi all, thanks for the various replies.

His quote included electrics but was a bit vague (average sockets per room was common on the quote), and the builder even admitted earlier on he had to be tighter on number of sockets quoted etc. The only plumbing by him was in kitchen, and creating spur of soil pipe which sits between new utility room and downstairs loo/shower (I'm fitting out both rooms myself at later date)
The flat roof was the pie existing ground floor extension that had old kitchen in it. Access is very easy. Originally they have discussed venting through ducting, but nearest accessible external wall would have meant 5 or 6m of ducting, at least 3 turns, and the hassle of going through both lintel of patio doors and support beam of pergolia outside on patio. This made option of going straight up best option.
As mentioned both fans in both rooms are fitted and wired in, but currently don't vent anywhere. Having already paid for fans, it does seem odd he know wants extra to vent. It was on plans, and is a building requirement, which inspector mentions in his provisional completion letter. Can imagine more than half a day work, and less than £100 in materials (if that). He believes we have had a conversation about venting being extra, but I don't recall that.
We are already over budget by £7000 or so, and the builder still reasons he has nothing left in contingency budget!
I've skimmed over the problems with this build (to numerous but not overly relevent to this discussion), but for example he went away on a cruise for two weeks and his brother was supposed to come and do outside render. He didn't, the builder has been back 2 weeks, and although they came on Wednesday and did (most, but not all) render, have not been able to get hold of him since.
I want to set a deadline of Wednesday to complete everything, otherwise I want to get friendly local builder colleague of my dad to sort, and deduct from his balance.
Did I mention due 2nd son in 3 weeks as well!
And relax...
:)

I want to get friendly local builder colleague of my dad to sort, and deduct from his balance.
Whist I sympathise with your position, you need to be careful here.

The builder is apparently coming back tomorrow (having not answered his phone since last Thursday, as he has a slipped disc apparently), but is still adamant about not doing the extractor fan venting within the agreed cost. Assuming he finishes the other bits I'll probably get someone else to do do the vents - whether its right or wrong, I simply have not the time to pursue it, and just need it doing.
If he does not finish of the last of the bits that he is responsible for (clearing driveway (of 7 months of building work/cement mixer, boards protecting drive, bags of sand etc), concreting trench out back for waste pipes, soakaway pipes, fixing gutters and one bit of render, then I feel I'm justified to getting someone else to finish. I'll hold a smaller amount of money back until I get the electrical certificate as well, which apparently might have to be several weeks yet.
I recognize I need to be careful (in fact my partner and my dad are both more of the opinion to bin him off and get someone else in, where's I'd prefer him to finish as agreed), but if it came to it, not sure what he could do - he's not really got much grounds for complaint if I pay him the difference after getting someone else to complete - of course he might not like what the difference comes to, but I guess that's the risk (but he is 7 months into a 3 month project!). Not sure if it matters but we have only ever had a verbal contract (based on a written (high level) quote) - not ideal in hindsight, but you live and learn!
thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back