New build extraction fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I moved in to a new build 2 months ago. I’m up to 89 on the snagging list, and I’m not being picky either - Not surprisingly the builder is virtually ignoring me. Anyway, I took the en-suite extractor fan off last week to tile the wall. There was a flexible hose - the kind you use for a clothes drier vent, just lying coiled (unstretched) in the cavity, not attached to the fan or the outside vent. I tried to reach in and attach it to the vent but the cover was flush against the brick so there was no way it was going on. It also seemed too big. Today I checked the other fans: Bathroom - as per the en-suite - no attempt to connect the hose to either side and obviously not even tried. Next was the cloakroom: no hose and no hole through the building! Cooker extraction: my wife wouldn’t let me take it apart but thinking about it, there was a hose in the cupboard next to the cooker hood when I move in so I think I know how that is going to go when I check. My questions are:
1) why is it no one is accountable for this stuff? The council have my list with other such problems and so do the builders and nothing:-/
2) shouldn’t the hose be a solid connection? ... pipe or something.
3) should the vent on the outside have louvres? The wind howls through
4) how could this pass an air-pressure test and should I have had a certificate proving a test was done?
See pics re. A above issues - 3 different fans. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• 1E385D4C-BB46-404C-B0C4-178B983A5A14.jpeg
    1E385D4C-BB46-404C-B0C4-178B983A5A14.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 63C11716-74E6-4214-84E6-6097B6C53B85.jpeg
    63C11716-74E6-4214-84E6-6097B6C53B85.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 22F11E15-4B64-45CA-8AAA-209BA8DB08A7.jpeg
    22F11E15-4B64-45CA-8AAA-209BA8DB08A7.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
1&4) there isn’t really any inspection or test that involves removing an extractor and taking a look at how the ducting looks unfortunately
2) flexi is not great but acceptable on a short run like through a wall
3) should at least be a grill with angled louvre slots. Other options with flaps may be better, easy to swap.

The builder is accountable for this sort of thing. Is the builder NHBC registered :?: If so, also notify NHBC in writing as well as the builder and Building control. You could also send a copy to your solicitor who dealt with the conveyancing just for the records. Don't let them get away with it, Building Control know how mechanical extracts should discharge to outside air. I sympathise, when I moved into my new house the en suite fan just discharged into the roof space which I knew was wrong, along with a list of other snagging items which were eventually dealt with by the builder after some involvement from Building Control and NHBC. Your problems indicate poor or incompetent site supervision and a failure to co ordinate different trades, but they should definitely be rectified by the 'builder' .

Sponsored Links
should at least be a grill with angled louvre slots. Other options with flaps may be better, easy to swap.

I would expect the fan itself to have automatic shutters, all the outside needs is to allow air out and keep the rain out.

Yeah some do, some don’t.
I have two fans with auto shutters and just an open 'rain- deflector' on the outside. My kitchen hob extract obviously lacks an internal shutter, so when I installed that, I fitted a gravity closing shutter.

If the OP's fan(s) have neither I would suggest it is very wrong.

I have two fans with auto shutters and just an open 'rain- deflector' on the outside. My kitchen hob extract obviously lacks an internal shutter, so when I installed that, I fitted a gravity closing shutter.

If the OP's fan(s) have neither I would suggest it is very wrong.

I think “neither” is pretty common and doesn’t normally cause too many issues, not saying it’s an ideal setup though, as you say. No idea if that detail is covered by BR.

I'm constantly having a go at our sparkies for either not securing the hose with duct tape (they use cable ties and they are shoite) and not stretching and cutting off the excess hose.

We make all the holes, install ducts, TVT's and hoses ready for the sparks. We fix a short length of drain pipe for cavity wall sleeving and use TVT's or make our own duct using black drain pipe, a multi slate and a mushroom cowl when going through a roof. We leave the hose trailing through the ceiling for the sparks.

Last edited:
An outlet air brick can be used in the external leaf instead of a grille. The pictures from the original poster obviously show things have not been done properly to say the least. The extract fans have backdraught shutters incorporated ,usually just spring loaded flaps.

Attachments

• Installation guide (1)axial fan.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
I've always done that with grey soilpipe. Very cross to find that all the modern, quiet fans I have bought recently won't quite fit. They are supposed to be 100mm spigot.

Thank you all for your advice. It seems I need solid duct (pipe) and a louvred fan or vent plate (neither are currently). The builder is a real cowboy outfit. Don’t buy in Blackburn without contacting me first ;) . I will spare you the other 89 ‘snags’.

The builder is a real cowboy outfit.
How do they get anybody to provide a warranty:!:
What sort of warranty has been provided , is the builder NHBC registered :?: There must be some sort of warranty on a new house :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back