Extract Fan location. 2 methods, which is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
its the semi-self builder again. ;)

The next job on my list is to install an extract fan over the shower area.

The instructions give two options. Fitting through a wall using the cover with three flaps, or using the additional grill to come out from under the soffit (I hope thats the correct term for the horisontal area below the roof)

My question is, which would be best in terms of drafts?

The soffit method would avoid the need to cut holes in the wall but I am worried that having no flaps, the air may rush in and out on windy days.
But then again could the air pressure in the house keep it out :?:

I know that having a vent with flaps can be noisy on a windy day when they open and close.

Any opinions from the forum would be great as to which method has the most advantages.

Many thanks, Alex.

Sponsored Links
we fit tile vent terminals over bathrooms/en-suites/kitchens, as part of an on-going build (whilst building extensions etc).

i suppose it is easy when there is a scaffold to work on. but don't dismiss this as an option.

Thanks noseall,

Sounds like the best and tidy option, but a bit advanced for my DIY and budget now the roof is completed.
Fitting the vent into the soffit would be the easiest for me, but I would rather spend more effort going through the wall if its the best option.

Have look at the Icon Airflow, it’s a little bit more expensive but it has a neat auto shutter arrangement.

Sorry to play ‘damp squid’ but I assume you realise that this is notifyable work (special location) & should be notified to BC or done by a Part ‘P’ certified spark who can self certify? Additionally, many fans are only IP45 rated & cannot be installed in zone one - directly over the bath or shower!

Sponsored Links
yep, all the red tape is in place. wall location and or soffit location approved, i'm fitting the fan housing + vents. Sparky giving it life..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back