Can I route an extractor fan's ducting to this solum vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of planning out the renovation of my bathroom and have been trying to decide the best method of creating a flue for an extractor fan.

My first thought was to either core drill or stitch drill a 4 inch hole through the exterior wall next to the window however this is a ground floor tenement flat and therefore the walls are likely to be made of 3 feet sandstone. So not a simple task in the slightest.

My latest idea was to replace the solum vent under the floorboards (as circled in the photo below) with a flap vent and connect the ducting on the outlet of the extractor fan to this.

This would require the ducting to travel approximately 2 meters vertically down from the extractor fan, a meter along the solum and out the vent on the right.

Is this is a viable solution? How necessary is the solum vent? Is there such a thing as a split solum/flap vent so that it can provide a vent for both the solum and the extractor fan?

Attachments

• PXL_20240121_152544555~2.jpg
    PXL_20240121_152544555~2.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
I can see problems doing that as the warm steam would cool on the long trip out and condensate on the inside of the ducting and you would have an issue with moisture inside the duct. A sandstone wall would not be too difficult to drill through and with a core drill and extension bars you could be through it faster than you think or, as you mention, stitch drill it with a long SDS bit.

I can see problems doing that as the warm steam would cool on the long trip out and condensate on the inside of the ducting and you would have an issue with moisture inside the duct. A sandstone wall would not be too difficult to drill through and with a core drill and extension bars you could be through it faster than you think or, as you mention, stitch drill it with a long SDS bit
Thanks for the advice. Do you think I could reduce the moisture issue if I used insulated ducting? As much as I agree drilling through the sandstone wall wouldn't be too bad it's more the location of the wall and the accessibility of it. Drilling from the inside is not an option as there is another interior wall blocking it from the inside and drilling from the outside is not an option unless I can be absolute certain I'm drilling in the correct place, which isn't possible due to the aforementioned.

Sponsored Links
Using an insulated ducting would help but it is not possible to know how it would perform until you try it. Can you set up a practice run and see how it performs maybe ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back