Fitting an Extractor Fan (granite wall)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm currently looking at installing an extractor fan in my bathroom. I live in an old tenement building and there is currently no vent or otherwise in the bathroom just now, however the bathroom wall opposite the shower is a granite gable end wall.

My plan is to install the fan in this wall, considering the potential work involved (presumably drilling through the wall to install fan and electrical work) is this an achievable feat for someone with basic DIY knowledge?! Or should I just bite the bullet and call in a local electrician?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello Roddy.
It's hard for us to gauge how 'handy' your DIY is to be honest. There are certain things you may need, decent 'clutched' drill, core-bit set etc etc and obviously you wouldn't want to go out and buy these for a single task.
Do you have a decent hire shop nearby ? Work out the cost and hassle and see how you feel then maybe ??

Is there no way you could vent the fan through a roof tile ?

Regards
Ed

The electrical work should be straightforward. However drilling through a granite wall will not be.

If there are other locations for a fan, use those (such as in the ceiling, or in the window)

how high off the ground is it? drilling a granite wall is hard, and doing it off a ladder would be unsafe (they can grab and throw you off)

if you have a loft space above you could use ducting and lead it through the eaves or soffitt.

p.s. if it is an older building, I would be surprised it it did not previously have an airbrick that may now have been blocked up and decorated over. Have a look from outside and tap the wall near the ceiling. If you can find one, the job will be 1000% easier

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses guys - I can get hold of the necessary kit and I'm pretty confident I could do it with a bit of help...

In answer to your other questions - I'm on the second floor (easily 20feet high) I don't have any loft space (loft flat above) but there is a small alcoved window in the bathroom that could be of use? I shall check for an air brick

Thanks a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back