Builder won't remove scaffolding

Name and shame.
If not allowed here, do it on Google, Facebook and other social media.

based in Chessington. Have reviewed them on google maps, they only have 3 reviews (2 of which are awful). Relative is sticking to recommendations from friends from now on after this experience.

Sponsored Links
I always suggest looking at companies house before employing a company.

Taking this company as an example.

Incorporated in 6 May 2022 << a newly formed company.
Website copyright is 2020, which is before the formation of actual company in 2022.
Has not submitted any accounts << No company income show to date.
Compulsory strike-off action has been discontinued << Has had a warning about not submitting accounts on time.
Owner has not been director of any companies beforehand.
Owner has not used an accountant address, but has used a personal address.

Last edited:
Guttering of Cuttering? Deary me....!
Blimey, and I've just done a reverse image search on this...
Screenshot_20231031-165828_Chrome.jpg

Hundreds of UK roofers are using this stock image of what is plainly a US roof.
I believe the image is originally from a New Jersey company :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I did a google lens reverse image search of one of the images shown on their website.

It is used by numerous roofing websites.

That doesn't bode well. At a guess, the same image has been used by 50 web pages. They may well be the same company operating under different web addresses, That however leads me to wonder why a reputable company would use 30+ different web addresses.

Edit- some of those companies have decent feedback, but why would a reputable firm use fake photos?

Last edited:
Crikey, this thread gave me deja vu! I originally spoke to this company to do my roof, he said he could do next day and I initially said yes as it felt urgent. I did some checking around and ultimately came to the conclusion to cancel it immediately, had a bad feeling. Super glad I did after reading this thread!

This was what tipped me off. I looked at these good reviews, all left with the same postcode by many famous people.

Jimmy Carr, Howard Hughes, Michael Scott. Super lazy fake reviews!

I always suggest looking at companies house before employing a company.

Taking this company as an example.

Incorporated in 6 May 2022 << a newly formed company.
Website copyright is 2020, which is before the formation of actual company in 2022.
Has not submitted any accounts << No company income show to date.
Compulsory strike-off action has been discontinued << Has had a warning about not submitting accounts on time.
Owner has not been director of any companies beforehand.
Owner has not used an accountant address, but has used a personal address.
Where did you see the warnings and personal email address? Would love to know so I can check my next roofer might be legit

This was what tipped me off. I looked at these good reviews, all left with the same postcode by many famous people.

What a give-away!

address? Would love to know so I can check my next roofer might be legit
Volks
I found his personal house address, not his email address. But that is also useful as you can then put that address into Google maps and look at outside of house (or accountant if they are sensible) and put it into Rightmove and look at house to see if local and even inside house (if sold recently).

But to answer your question, there are no direct warnings, you read between the lines.

Use the Compaines house link I provided above and type in company name (typically from bottom of webpage)

Or in Google type...
Companies House and the name of the company of interest.

And Companies House will (all for free, if asked to pay you are on wrong website):
- show name of all directors, their registered address, their age (birth date) and the other Compaines they are currently director of or have been director off (too many is a bad sign).
-show the age of the company by seeing when first registered (I would not have a big job done by a new 12month company)
- show annual financials of company.
- show any bad remarks they have received (eg by being late to submit.)
- you can look inside these files and see what their annual turnover is. (You want that to be a lot higher than the quote you receive to show they have experience and financial reserves).

SfK

Last edited:

Did you met him? Relative thinks he looked like this person, but is not certain

Did you met him? Relative thinks he looked like this person, but is not certain

I did meet them but he didn't look like this. Was more heavy set and bald if I remember correctly. Had someone in the van with him that didn't get out, but don't think it was that chap either

Lol be careful, this is turning into rogue traders, good that the scaff has gone. It is worth reporting to local trading standards, even if nothing done now, it is likely there have been/will be other complaints that generate action. Emphasise the vulnerability if your relative, and the rip off nature of the work.

Blup

And some days they would have 4 glowing reviews all left on the same day. Then nothing for a few days and then loads more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back