scaffolding problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help,I am at my wits end and do not know how to resolve this problem.
We asked scaffolder who was recommende to us by carpenter/builder to erect our scaffolding around the bungalow as we are having a new roof and rooms in it.
He came and put it up and the carpenters arrived 8th august to start work.
The carpenters said they were not happy to use tarpaulins and the scaffolder was on site and i asked him if he could fit scaffolding to upper part of house and cover the roof.He agreed and price was agreed ,half money when job completed and the rest in couple of weeks.
He started to put up the extra scaffolding on the 11th august and then on the 15th (sunday) he said he wont be around till tuesday but would be around tueday wednesday thursday but not on friday or the weekend .
He did not turn up on the tueday or the whole week so i tried to call him on his mobile and no answer .I got worried as all workmen and materials started to arrive on site.He took no notice of texts i sent so in desperation i sent text to say that if he did not come to finish it or take it down i would put it for sale on ebay.The trick worked and he tel .and started to be very aggressive and said he is busy and then blamed the carpenters for this extra work(which he did not have to agree)
I said he has to come and fininsh it or take it down ,he came again for couple of days but dissapeared again.Again he would not answer phone or come so had to send text to say come to take it down if you cannot finish it.Again he promised by end of week it will be finished,again he disappeared.
He then appeared and threatened to take building materials and my car in liu of time spent doing scaffolding.
He did come and do couple of hours again but then did not finish it.Same saga and finally came and said he was going on holiday I said this is it I have had enough and we will take it down.He promised it finished againg but ofcourse he did not but went on hols.
I sent text to say that it will be down by the time he comes back and to come to take it away as we have very little room on our forecourt.
Last week saturday I got text from another scaffolding comp.to say that he had been asked to finish the scaffolding and two blokes came but on odd day for couple of hours and they did not finish ,they promised to come at 9 am last saturday but did not turn up.
However the scaffolder came back from hols and came around ranting and raving going on about how bonkers I am ! And was very threathening so I said i do not need this and take your scaffolding down I have had enough of aggressive behaviour.He said fine went to his lorry and sat there for a while and then came and said right what do I want I said either take it down or finish it today that is it.He went to his lorry and started to put up the corrugated roof.I went out and after coming back the roof was on but the plastic on sides is not.
This morning he did not arrive so I texted that he had not kept to his promise.Again lot of aggressive words and was going on about the carpenters messing him by asking for the extra work.
Now he says we cannot touch his scaffolding and he will leave it up for 10 weeks ,we cannot start work because the sides are open to weather.
Please sensible suggestions what to do now.

Sponsored Links
Help,I am at my wits end and do not know how to resolve this problem.
We asked scaffolder who was recommende to us by carpenter/builder to erect our scaffolding around the bungalow as we are having a new roof and rooms in it.
He came and put it up and the carpenters arrived 8th august to start work.
The carpenters said they were not happy to use tarpaulins and the scaffolder was on site and i asked him if he could fit scaffolding to upper part of house and cover the roof.He agreed and price was agreed ,half money when job completed and the rest in couple of weeks.
He started to put up the extra scaffolding on the 11th august and then on the 15th (sunday) he said he wont be around till tuesday but would be around tueday wednesday thursday but not on friday or the weekend .
He did not turn up on the tueday or the whole week so i tried to call him on his mobile and no answer .I got worried as all workmen and materials started to arrive on site.He took no notice of texts i sent so in desperation i sent text to say that if he did not come to finish it or take it down i would put it for sale on ebay.The trick worked and he tel .and started to be very aggressive and said he is busy and then blamed the carpenters for this extra work(which he did not have to agree)
I said he has to come and fininsh it or take it down ,he came again for couple of days but dissapeared again.Again he would not answer phone or come so had to send text to say come to take it down if you cannot finish it.Again he promised by end of week it will be finished,again he disappeared.
He then appeared and threatened to take building materials and my car in liu of time spent doing scaffolding.
He did come and do couple of hours again but then did not finish it.Same saga and finally came and said he was going on holiday I said this is it I have had enough and we will take it down.He promised it finished againg but ofcourse he did not but went on hols.
I sent text to say that it will be down by the time he comes back and to come to take it away as we have very little room on our forecourt.
Last week saturday I got text from another scaffolding comp.to say that he had been asked to finish the scaffolding and two blokes came but on odd day for couple of hours and they did not finish ,they promised to come at 9 am last saturday but did not turn up.
However the scaffolder came back from hols and came around ranting and raving going on about how bonkers I am ! And was very threathening so I said i do not need this and take your scaffolding down I have had enough of aggressive behaviour.He said fine went to his lorry and sat there for a while and then came and said right what do I want I said either take it down or finish it today that is it.He went to his lorry and started to put up the corrugated roof.I went out and after coming back the roof was on but the plastic on sides is not.
This morning he did not arrive so I texted that he had not kept to his promise.Again lot of aggressive words and was going on about the carpenters messing him by asking for the extra work.
Now he says we cannot touch his scaffolding and he will leave it up for 10 weeks ,we cannot start work because the sides are open to weather.
Please sensible suggestions what to do now.
I have just read my post and I made lot of spelling mistakes ,sorry I am so stressed about this.

Fact is it's a very bad idea to try and co-ordinate different trades and suppliers etc. without knowing what you are doing. Works like this are best done under a central contract with single point responsibility. Otherwise one lot plays off against the other and the result is usually a complete mess.

Still, your in it now so that's all a bit too late really. Only way out I can see is have another scaffolder take it down and start again. If you can find one that will do it that is. Scaffolders tend to know each other and it's unlikely one will touch anothers kit. Other problem is that the scaffolder is will put the word around that you are a bit of a nutter and then nobody will want to know.

Just crack on with the canopy in place and try not to worry too much about the sides. Im sure the trades can drape a bit of a light tarp over an area where the wind is blowing.

Sponsored Links
Hi thank you for that helpful piece of advise, and why do you or indeed he thinks i am a nutter ?what have i done to deserve this ?My only fault is giving him the job not seeing that he is not trusworthy!
Not helpful in the least ,this job will go well once the scaffolding is finished . This is not my first building project or last!
I will see if I can get someone to put the sheeting around the scaffolding ,I can buy it in a roll with all the fittings on the net.
Why to make someone's life so difficult unless you are yourself a nasty piece of work?
He has not put his name on the scaffolding ,he has erected some scaffolding in nearby village and has not put his name there either,why?
I cannot see why he cannot finish it? why?just wants to be horrible not right in his head.The cement arrived in a tight sealed container and I noticed whilst the scaffolder was here he must have made large hole to the side and damaged 3 cement sacks as I found it hard to open the container to move them inside ! that is how petty he is!
Perhaps someone can give me some encourgement and advise that is helpful and not just critise me .

Just crack on with the canopy in place and try not to worry too much about the sides. Im sure the trades can drape a bit of a light tarp over an area where the wind is blowing.

Thank you noseall, I am seeing the carpenters tomorrow and see if we can protect the house from the westside where the wind blows usually, i will get some tarps. they will just have to work fast to get the trusses up.

jeds wasn't calling you a nutter, he was just suggesting that as you had said yourself:

"the scaffolder came back from hols and came around ranting and raving going on about how bonkers I am!"

that if you got someone else in, he (the scaffolder) is likely to spread this type of rumour to have a go back at you for messing with his gear, and stop anyone else taking on the scaffolding work.

I know it's upsetting and frustrating, but make sure you understand what you are reading here when these guys are trying to help, or you risk alienating yourself.

Hope you get it all sorted okay, good luck.

Quite right watshot. I was suggesting nothing of the sort - just making the point that the scaffolder might resort to some sort of tactic. Although, with the greatest respect, your response to that misunderstanding hardly convinces me that you are in full control.

Quite contrary I am compleately in control just stressed out as you would be .The scaffolder did not need to agree to putting the the extra scaffolding up but willingly agreed to.At no time did he say he would take 6 weeks to put up the extra scaffolding.
The stress has given me chest pains .
The scaffolder is nasty piece of work his body language is threatening ,at no time there has been any reason for this ,why not finish the job so I can pay as agreed and get on ?

He has repeatedly lied about finishing the job for the last 6 weeks,he has time now but just wants to be nasty.
My solicitor says that we are within our rights to take the scaffolding down as he has not completed the job and has left it unfinished and we owe nothing. So not illegal to take this course of action. Not something we wish to do all we want to do is get the building going.

Your scaffolder is an arrogant bully who has no concept of the words 'service provider'.

However, i am not aware of the full extent of the language or dialogue that has gone on between you both so i can not comment.

Engage another scaffolder to remove his equipment and erect their own. His equipment can be laid out ready for collection.

Then bill him for the inconvenience.

Not helpful in the least ,this job will go well once the scaffolding is finished . This is not my first building project or last!

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/building/scaffolding-problem.291028/#ixzz1YR32rR9Q

Glad you are now happy.....
But I disagree with taking it down.....There is a strange law about messing around with others property.... and he was invited to erect the scaffold....

He was not invited to erect the scaffolding ,we have verbal contract which he has not fullfilled and this is preventing the build from proceeding!As I said ,according to my solicitor I can have it taken down as he has no fullfilled his contract verbal or otherwise,I would of course send a text to say to collect his stuff if I go that route.
The Consumer direct said he has broken the doorstep selling regulation and they wanted his address and name so they can contact him ,I do not have it but no doubt could find out.
I am not in the least vindictive person and just want it finished so the house does not get ruined by rain.I am trying to find someone who can put sheeting around the scaffold.Not easy ..

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/building/scaffolding-problem.291028/#ixzz1YR32rR9Q

Glad you are now happy.....
But I disagree with taking it down.....There is a strange law about messing around with others property.... and he was invited to erect the scaffold....

He was not invited to erect the scaffolding ,we have verbal contract which he has not fullfilled and this is preventing the build from proceeding!As I said ,according to my solicitor I can have it taken down as he has no fullfilled his contract verbal or otherwise,I would of course send a text to say to collect his stuff if I go that route.
The Consumer direct said he has broken the doorstep selling regulation and they wanted his address and name so they can contact him ,I do not have it but no doubt could find out.
I am not in the least vindictive person and just want it finished so the house does not get ruined by rain.I am trying to find someone who can put sheeting around the scaffold.Not easy ..

And do please state what the doorstep selling regulations are regarding a scaffold that you asked to be erected...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back