builders from hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
URGENT I am writing an article for Real magazine on builders from hell, and am looking to interview a young couple (25 to 40) who can tell me how having the builders from hell affected their relationship.....I know you are all DIYers, but I thought some of you might have turned to DIY after builder disasters!...a small fee can be paid....

Sponsored Links
We are a little outside your age range 45 and 46 but we have recently had a dream house turned into a nightmare by the builder from hell. There are so many things wrong with it we are going to have to move out for at least a month to rectify the incompetent workmanship. The estimated cost of remedial work is of the order of £30000. Interested? please email me at [email protected]

All you media types want is to get cheap copy to humiliate some poor couple publically. Why not run decent programs showing people basic maintenance work so they can avoid the cowboys.

I agree with the media out to get builders.
Why not do a program on honest, competent builders and the problems they have extracting their well earned fee from the customer. There are some builders out there who are good at their job and are just trying to earn a living. There is so much bad publicity regarding builders that all customers seem to have to do is say the work isn't good enough and get away without paying. Who stands up for the builder in these circumstances?

Sponsored Links
If you have trouble getting money out of your customers I suggest reviewing your credit procedure. Round here good workmen have so much work on that they stick to a regular customer base.
I find that telling the customer up front the true estimated time and cost saves me a lot of aggro. So many builders underestimate both just to get the job and do not allow for those inevitable snags. If the customer is new I regularly check he understands the work done and get regular interim payments. What does irritate the customer is builder asking for money up front to get building supplies. If you have a good reputation people will want you again so tend not to be a hassle.

WE DID INFORM THE BUIDER THAT WE WERE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE STANDARD OF THE WORK CARRIED OUT WELL BEFORE THE WORK WAS COMPLETED.WE SUDDENLY FOUND CONTACT HIM WAS IMPOSSIBLE.A 9 PAGE SURVEYORS REPORT CONDEMING THE WORK,AND A SOLICITORS LETTER POINTING OUT THAT THE WORK HAD NOT BEEN DONE TO THE CONTRACTED PLANS MEANT HE WAS IN BREACH OF THE CONTRACT HE HAD UNDERTAKEN.TO OUR AMAZEMENT WE HAVE DISCOVERED HE SPENDS A LARGE AMOUNT OF TIME IN THE PUB AND HIS BULLEYING THUGGISH BEHAVOUR LANDED HIM IN COURT.

well just found this sight due to being so frustrated by our situation "the biulders from hell" sums them up MAP builders from the west midlands have left us feeling frustated,sick to the stomach and broke. We are a couple in our late 20's to 30' who have a shell with no roof and a builder who does not care . we have four kids hopeing to extend our home only to have paid up front for a large pond due to the rain we have had over the past few weeks. this biulder does not turn up, does not answer tyhe phone and is almost a mythical beast. on the rare occassion he does turn up he dripples on over some lame excuse leaving us baning our heads.

"Paid up front". Why? If builder is so short of cash he cannot start job then he would have no resources if job goes wrong.
However your best course is to give him a reasonable timetable for progress and if he refuses then its small claims court time to get money back.

Hi,

I have just sacked my builders from hell. The work they have done is so bad it is comical, I have to laugh otherwise I dont think I would be able to cope. I bought a little flat and it needed a makeover, so I got them in to do everything from put up cornice, new bathroom, tiling floor, woodwork etc. My wooden flooring is so bad that I can actually balance mid-air on two planks of wood, their solution...to put carboard under it. The tiling is so bad that one tile sits flat, the other sticks out, the next one is flat, the next one is set back, I dont know how they achieved this effect with a flat wall. The woodwork is shoddy to say the least and the painting crap. The shelving they made in my cupboard they couldnt even screw the shelves on straight. They have not done one thing right, even while putting on my benchtop they damaged my fridge. My boyfriend is getting work done at his place (with a good builder) and the work being done on my place is causing us endless arguments. If you need any help from me writing info about disastrous builders please contact me. [email protected]
P.S If you know somewhere I can follow up bad work or post it on as many sites as possible please let me know.
Good luck!!!

I can understand how people get taken in by builders. My Builder from Hell came across as really honest and reliable - to start with. He checked things out before starting, i.e trees and removal of, told us about a couple of jobs he had done locally, how were we to know he was related o one 'customer' and had in fact messed them about and they didn't like to say. Even the building inspector let us down. The 'builder' was phoning him and telling him what he had done and work was passed on this basis. Needless to say he did a bunk in May, moved house (rented) changed mobile numbers, and has been uncontactable ever since. The roof incomplete and numerous other work. It has cost £3000 to put right and we are doing the things we can to save cash. The police can't help - I won't say why in case it gives other 'dodgys' ideas. The work was supposed to have taken 6 - 8 weeks, a year after starting and we are still struggling to get it finished.
Stressful? I'll say. He of course had all our money because he was so plausible, he probably moves around the country doing it.

Priory Loft conversions in Surrey are the builders from hell. they did a loft conversion for us 3 years ago. It was a heap of s**t -fortuantely we took out a warranty with FMB -they got another set of builders in. Guess what they are also a load of s**t and we have to start again. Going to court in Feb against 2 builders and FMB.

I've been reading these postings and am shocked to hear our same story about builders from hell. Can't believe their are so many. I do have a question, if anyone else has used small claims to try to recoup costs associated with any builders from hell, please let me know, when are going to have to and just want a few pointers

The problems with these cowboys builder from hell is the fact they left school with no qualifications and going to the building trade is the only way out for them and sadly thinking they can pick it up as they go along without the need of a apprenticeship,but I know a builder who can't read & write,does a good job!Without getting into political argument,did I hear right that someone once said ' Education,Education,Education ! ' There are 38,000 plumbers shortage in Essex,let alone carpenter,bricklayer etc. I think too many people are going to university and not enough in the building trade.To avoid cowboy builder from hell,best to get recommendation or go to your local planning who will give you lists reputable company.

My neighbors had a cowboy builder from hell.He started work and made a complete mess and left their house uninhabitable for 5 months. Kept turning up wanting money for work he said he was doing. When they refused he became very threatening. they paid up under direst and then he left and did not come back.When they complained he threaten them with GBH. He has taken £ 5000 and the owners had to find another £4000 to fix the damage done by this builder.The builders wife came round also demanding money and he asked for check to be made out to his wife . He knocked down the front garden wall and charged it to the owner ,did not clear the mess up or even attempt to rebuild .Kept making excuse . None of his work he did was any good. Most he never did or try , just demanded the money and left .Since then they have been scared to leave the property unattended.There friends have advised them to sell up and leave quickly as these builders know how to use the law to silence them. He regards himself above the law and untouchable .The police say its a civil matter and the couple are too scared to do any thing . The builder and his family regually go pass the couples house and park their cars directly infront of the house . He is just a thug pretening to be a competent time served builder . The builder is based in Coventry -rugby area .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back