Building a greenhouse from recycled materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to build an economic greenhouse using materials that I've salvaged. I have some old sliding door double glazing units that I'd like to use for a couple of the walls, but also the roof. If I add a couple of extra supports will I get away with using it on the roof? It wouldn't be completely flat, probably 30 degree slope. I'm worried it'll be too much and might use twinwall polycarbonate roofing sheets and use the double glazing for the walls.

Sponsored Links
Can't really see a problem with using double glazed units for the roof , ok maybe a tad heavier than single panes but supported well it should be fine. In fact I'm sure I've seen one made just like that.
Google greenhouse from recycled windows and click on images , there's loads of them and while some look a little ramshackle many look really good.

Thanks, I did google, but couldn't find any that used large panes like sliding doors. Will try again.

Sponsored Links
Mate used windows for a conservatory roof, it dripped/leaked. They were new units and supplier told him they were not for water lying constantly in the joints .... :eek:

So he used clear mastik on all the joints and that sorted the problem out.

OP wrote "I want to try my hand at a well insulated greenhouse for year round growing"
The biggest problem you'll have with this concept are winter light levels. No matter how well insulated your 'greenhouse' is, there simply isn't enough energy from the sun to get things to grow much in the short days of winter. Also, you can't simply seal a greenhouse up to prevent heat escaping whether it's double glazed or not - you need to keep some air circulating and changing in the house or you'll end up with plants covered with botrytis (grey mould) due to the cold stagnant air within.
However, it's good fun trying to beat Mother Nature as much as you can, so best of luck!
PS I 've run a commercial glasshouse nursery for 30 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back